MY STEERING ON MY 3.6 WENT OUT. HORRIBLE NOISE FROM THE PS PUMP. I DROVE IT WITHOUT PS FOR A DAY (TOUGH) THEN I BOUGHT A REPLACEMENT

2005 Cadillac CTS • 110,000 miles

My steering on my 2005 Cadillac CTS 3.6 went out. Horrible noise from the PS Pump. I drove it without PS for a day (tough) then I bought a replacement pump but when I went to drain the reserv it was empty. Could the problem be my rack and pinion instead of my pump? Thank you
Ajox32

Having an empty pump means it leaked out someplace. You could have blown a hose going to the rack. You should also have oil drippingon bottom of car from it. Check around under hood and see what you can. Don't think the rack wold go because of the pump but you'll have ot find the leak then fill it up an dsee where it is after that

Thank you very much. My concern is when it first happened I brought the level to full and bled it turning the wheel back and forth. It went back to stiff in 4 turns of the wheel. There is def a leak and Im going to go fill it up and try to find it. Thank you again! First time here, You guys are great! I'll keep you posted

Ajox32
Filled it up and sprayed out on the passengers side above the steering rack. I now need to find out which hose I couldn't find it because it sprayed out to fast for me to see where it was coming from. Any idea where I can find a hose diagram for the power steering to rack system? I'll search the internet now. Thank again!

Ajox32
If it comes out fast it's probably the pressure line. The coolant& return lines will have clamps on them whereas the pressure one won't.

Yes it was spraying out. I just ordered a pressure line so should have it fixed in a couple of days. Thank you again!

Ajox32