VOLKSWAGEN JETTA SENSOR PROBLEM

2004 Volkswagen Jetta • 70,000 miles

I have an 04 Jetta with the 2.0 BBW engine. Engine light is on and says it has a bad camshaft position sensor. When checked the sensor checks out OK. The car will not start when the engine is hot. After a cold start it runs perfectly. If this part is not functioning properly would it cause the car to have starting problems?

Furthermore, I went ahead and purchased the sensor from O'Riely Auto Parts (closest thing to an Autozone or Pepboys in Hawaii). But the part looks nothing like the one on the car. Mechanic told me the sensor needed is one typically used on an Audi. The part number needed is 06A 907 601.

I have spent $1500 taking the car from dealer to dealer and noone knows what to do. I have put a new computer in it, a new crankshaft sensor just in case and nothing works and now I cant find the correct camshaft position sensor. This car makes me want to pull my hair out!

Any thoughts, ideas, or places I could find the new sensor would be greatly appreciated thank you!
Trevors04BBWJETTA

The camshaft position sensor is located behind the cam gear. It is item #20 in the picture.

I am not sure why you have spent $1500, this is a pretty common fault that we see at the dealership. Remove the camshaft position sensor, located infront of the timing cover, one pin should have 5v with the key on, another pin should have full ground and the remaining pin (pin 2) is signal, with the connector plugged in and back-probed(if the sensor is good) you should be receiving a fluctuating signal from the cam. Sensor.

F4I_guy