CAR SHAKING

2004 Mitsubishi Endeavor • 6 cylinder 2WD Automatic • 99,000 miles

2004 Mitsubishi endeavor is shaking while driving between 25-35mph. Why is this?
Blkagrl

Felt in the seat or steering wheel? Just when accelerating, cruising at a steady speed, or when coasting?

The shaking is felt in the rear passenger area of the vehicle. It starts shaking as I accelerate pass 25 mph & continues til I reach 35 mph. Will keep shaking while cruising btwn those speeds. After 35 mph no shaking & no shaking after decelarting below 25 mph. It feels like the vehicle is going to fall apart.

Blkagrl
I would start by having the tires inspected for a broken belt. At the speeds you listed, the shaking is likely getting worse because it is at the vehicle's natural frequency to vibrate so a little vibration gets amplified until you feel it. That's the same principle that keeps a pendulum swinging in a grandfather clock without putting in hardly any energy.

This is occurring at too low a speed to be a tire balance issue. If it is a broken tire belt, you should feel the back end wobble too at lower speeds such as when driving through a parking lot. Another thing to consider is a dragging brake due to a sticking parking brake cable that hasn't fully released. That can be harder to notice at higher speeds. Look at the two cables where they exit their outer casings right in front of the rear wheels. If you see a half inch or so that looks shiny, that cable is sticking and is not fully retracted. Often flexing the outer casing will help the cable retract.

Thank you. I will have the mechanic take a look. Also when I put the car in reverseit makes a squeaking sound, almost like if the brakes were bad if I was n drive and trying to brake. Could this alos be another issue tied to the shaking of the vehicle?

Blkagrl
A sloppy wheel bearing could be responsible for both symptoms but that should be very noticeable at lower speeds too. Generally anything that can cause shaking, other than a broken tire belt, will also cause a noise so you might have identified another clue.