ENGINE DECARBONIZATION

2004 Mazda RX8 • 4 cylinder 2WD Automatic • 103,000 miles

2004 Mazda RX-8 (ROTARY). Mechanic keeps saying my car needs an engine decarbonization. What causes carbon build up and how can I prevent having to have decarb service?

Rstewartiv

Its the nature of a rotary engine. Its usually best to really run hard it once a week. If you just baby it and putt around town, carbon builds up faster. You can try to put a can of sea-foam in a 1/4 tank, and go for a "spirited" drive.

Jask1717
Add seafoam to the gas works but theres a better way to use the seafoam. Take two vaccum lines and place them in the bottle of seafoam. Now hook the lines to the vaccum ports on the motor. There located on the block under the wiper fluid resoir. Run the engine and let them suck it all in. Let it sit for an hour. Then take around a cup of 5w20 motor oil (the recomended oil for the car) and let it suck it up. But note when doing this you will get alot of white smoke coming out of the exhust thats normal. You can go on you tube and see videos if needed.

Mabele87
Mabele87 just throwing in other quick notes on your answer. Too anyone that needs this information make sure you understand both me and mabele87s answers on here they will help but I recommennd watching the youtube videoos because it will make you feel alot more comforttable. But. Before you do anything unplug the three harnesses shown on the videos im not too familiiar with what they are bc the setup on the rotary and im still nervous on doing my rx8 one skipped step, or something done wrong expecially forgetting too or not putting enough oil in before cranking the rx8 can and will cause problems now or soon later. Bc the seafoam is strong enough as added, but when leaving set for 2hours it wiill strip the oil, your oil injector evens out the required amount of oil into cylinder during engine shut down too keep lubricated. The same thing for flooding the engine, if you have a problem with flooding unplug the fuel fuze it will be smart too hook batteryy too charger then turn over engine no longer than 10secs let starter cool down for a min then repeat atleast 2 more times. Plug fuel fuze backk in then start engine you may have too unplug positive battery terminal for a few minutes to reset check engine like good luckk if yyou have any questions email me jjtorres3891@gmail. Com

04rx8