HOW HARD IS IT TO DO A HEAD GASKET JOB BESIDES TIME CONSUMING ?

2004 Land Rover Discovery 2 • 66,655 miles

I have a haynes manual and a service manual to guide me
Don roe

As long as you have the right tools, especially a torque wrench, new head bolts, no problem. If the gasket blew, it is recommended that you have the head checked, and decked if needed prior to reassembly.

Rivermikerat
Make sure you label everything before you take anything apart. Both sides of electrical connectors, vacuum lines and connectors, coolant hoses, etc. This will (should) preclude connecting anything wrong.

Take pictures. Write a list of everything you've labelled and check them off as they are reconnected/reassembled.

Rivermikerat
Got all of those tools - would you happen to estimate the cost of getting the head decked or planed?

Don roe
That depends on how much they need to take off. Call around to local machine shops and find the best rate. When I've had to do this for my cars, I've been lucky and worked at a shop with the proper machine tools to do this and thus didn't have to pay for it.

Rivermikerat