JERKS ONE HARD TIME WHEN ACCELERATING AT A QUICKER PACE...

2004 Hyundai Tiburon • 108,000 miles

Car jerks one hard time when accelerating at a quicker pace. I think it's between 2nd and 3rd (it's an automatic) It used to be occasional, however now it's more often. It almost feels like back lash, or if you dump the clutch on a manual. I do notice when the jerk happens the RPM's quickly drop and then quickly jump back up to where it should be. Any help or advice is appreciated.
Ciprimm23

Sounds like the shifting of the trans. Have a trans shop check it for you. Could be a simple adjustment or maybe more than that.

Thanks for your response. I'm pretty sure it is the transmission as well, just hoping it's something I can fix myself instead of spending an arm and a leg.

Ciprimm23
Get a scan done to check for trouble codes.

This transmission is a mechanic's nightmare when it starts giving problem so DIY is most probably out of range.

My 04' does the same thing. I bought it a year ago and it didn't do it until a month of driving it. Sometimes it will do it every time I accelerate and sometimes it will only do it occasionally. I was told if you reset your transmissions computer and then just take it easy for 100 miles or so, that it will help. I've also been told it could be a solenoid. One time mine even hit so hard that it jammed the windshield wipers on. So your not alone : )

Kendallcalhoun
Nobody is ever alone when it comes to problems with vehicles but we are always alone when it comes to closing a question.
Feedbacks are either lacking and in most cases none and we do not know whether what we have sugggested works or was there any solution to the problem.

If there are trouble codes, we would like to know what they are. Resetting is just a prayer and hopes it works but for us we like to know possible causes.

I was never able to find the problem. I am not getting any trouble codes. I had a trans shop check it out and they said that the only thing that they can think of would be back lash. I've been able to get the issue to stop just by accelerating at a normal rate and not jumping on the gas. Thank you for your help.

Ciprimm23
If gently acceleration don't result in the issue, the problem could be related to the throttle position sensor and being intermittent, the best way is to plug in a scan tool and monitor the TPS while driving to simulate the conditions ans see whar happens when the issue occurs.