HYUNDAI SANTA FE MECHANIC PROBLEM

2004 Hyundai Santa Fe • 93,000 miles

This is a 3.5 liter engine recently it very suddenly started not wanting to accelerate past 40-45 mph took it to dealership and they determined that the catalytic converters need replacement and naturally I could not afford 2400.00 so I did some research and found a mechanic who could do it for 1400.00 well the work is done and they just called to let me know that it is still not wanting to accelerate past 40-45 mph he seemed to think that the condition of the converters (melted inside) has something to do with it like some pieces broke off and went deeper into the exhaust system. What is the possible outcomes in a situation like this me being completely ignorant in the world of mechanics I'm regretting my decision I was hoping to repair and buy me some time tom start saving for a more economical car with way better fuel mileage. Now it is at the mechanic really need some good advice Thanks

Very possible what you were told. Ask them to disconnect the rear of the cats and see if the car returns to normal to confirm there findings