EMERGENCY BRAKE

2004 Honda Element • 4WD Manual •

How do I tighten my emergency brake?
Mark brockmyre

PARKING BRAKE CHECK AND ADJUSTMENT

CHECK
1. Pull the parking brake lever (A) with 196 N (20 kgf, 44 lbf) of force to fully apply the parking brake. The parking brake lever should be locked within the specified number of clicks (B).

Lever locked clicks: 4 to 7

2. Adjust the parking brake if the lever clicks are not within the specification.

MINOR ADJUSTMENT

1. Raise the rear of the vehicle, and support it with safety stands in the proper locations.

2. Release the parking brake lever fully.

3. Remove the center console.

4. Pull the parking brake lever 1 click.

5. Tighten the adjusting nut (A) until the parking brakes drag slightly when the rear wheels are turned.

6. Release the parking brake lever fully, and check that the parking brakes do not drag when the rear wheels are turned. Readjust if necessary.

7. Make sure the parking brakes are fully applied when the parking brake lever is pulled all the way.

8. Install the center console.

MAJOR ADJUSTMENT (TO BE DONE WHEN REPLACING PARKING BRAKE SHOES
AND AFTER LINING SURFACE BREAK-IN)

3. Remove the center console.

4. Back off the adjusting nut (A) in the equalizer.

5. Remove the rear wheels.

6. Remove the access plug (A).

7. Turn the adjuster (B) with a flat-tip screwdriver (C) until the shoes lock against the drum. Then back off 8 clicks, and install the access plug.

8. Do the minor adjustment procedure.

9. Install the rear wheels.

10. Install the center console.