POWER STEERING NOISE AND LEAK

2004 Honda Accord • 6 cylinder FWD • 86,000 miles

I drive a 2004 Honda Accord EX. For the past year, I have noticed that when it is colder outside, my car makes a loud squealing noise especially when I turn the wheel. I took my car in to replace the serpentine belt, and was told I needed to get my rack and pinion replaced for $1100. I had someone take a look at my car who was a car mechanic in the past and said my rack and pinion was dry. He did notice a small leak around the bottom hose that connects to the power steering pump. I read on here that an O-ring needs to be replaced on the power steering pump inlet joint. Is there anything else that should be replaced?
Vgronkowski

If you're replacing a hose, it will come with new O-rings. None of these things are going to cause a squealing noise unless this oil is getting on the belt

Wrenchtech
If there's a leak, can't air get into the system to cause that noise? Noise is gone once it has warmed up.

Vgronkowski
Air noise is growling, belt noise is squealing.

Wrenchtech
Well, belt was replaced, noise remains. Let's call it growling then! Would it be an replacement of the hose(s) and O-rings?

Vgronkowski
Air is entering the pump through the o-ring. Replaced the powersteering pump inlet joint o-ring and that would fix it.

Thank you. I will do that. How much do they typically charge to replace the o-ring?

Vgronkowski
The o ring is about 2-5 dollars at the dealer. You will need a bottle of Honda powersteering fluid also. You can do it yourself it's not hard at all. All you need to do is found the powersteering pump and remove the 10mm bolt and the black inlet joint at the front of the pump and replace the o ring. (When you remove the inlet joint use a cloth to catch some of the fluid)