RADIATOR REMOVAL

2004 Holden Commodore • 6 cylinder Automatic • 196,250 miles

2004 Vy Commodore. Hole in Radiator, got one to replace but is it possible to do so from home or would I need a qualified mechanic?
Jude72

Let me alert our source in Australia, he should know the answer. Mark is a well informed bloke indeed!

Dr. Hagerty
Nice easy job, this one, remove the fan housing and drain the coolant, undo the auto cooler hoses if its an auto, and unclasp the radiator support clip or bolts as the case may be and lift the radiator clear, when re fitted take off the top plastic engine cover (4 10mm bolts) and open the bleeder on the thermostat housing, fill with coolant and start up with heater on, keep filling radiator un till you see coolant coming from bleed hole, close off bleeder and fit cap, run and crack open bleeder and close if non air present, run till hot and heater hot, crack bleeder and see if any air comes out, if just coolant, re fit top cover and allow to cool down then re check radiator and top up if required, to up over flow as required.

Mhpautos
Thanks Mark.

Dr. Hagerty
Thank you Mark, will try to do as you've said. Wish me luck : ) Thank you also to Dr. Hagerty : ) Kind regards, Judith

Jude72
We will be here Judith, and thank you as well.

Dr. Hagerty
How did you get on with the radiator?

Mhpautos
Hi Mark yeah all good thank you : ) I have another question, if you don't mind? There is an annoying clunking(for lack of better word)when I drive and when I go over bumps? Any ideas on what it might be? I hear it coming from the front, sounds like maybe from the tyres? Appreciate the help, Judith

Jude72
Check sway bar link pin bushes, they go from the strut to the sway bar they often fail, look here first.

Mhpautos
Hey guys, I am doing the same procedure but i'm stuck.

I have found the clips that hold the radiator in place and removed them, I have detached all the hoses and trans lines but I can't get the small radiator that sits in front to move back far enough to slide the large radiator out, any tips?

Wart10101
The small radiator is either an oil cooler or the AC condenser. There should be a bracket on either side of the condenser that can be loosened.

Rivermikerat