VIBRATION WHILE DRIVING? NEED HELP

2004 GMC Sierra • 13,000 miles

2WD extended cab Sierra 1500 with a V8. 130,000 miles on it, no towing, no hard driving.

I developed a vibration about 6 months ago anytime the truck was driving over 25 miles per hour. I took it to Goodyear, and they told me that my tie rod ends were bent, and I needed inner and outer tie rod ends both sides of the front of the truck. I paid them to do it. Vibration was just as bad at this point. Took it back, they told me it was the front tires, I had two new tires on the front of the truck. I paid for the tires. Vibration was still bad, took it to another garage, they told me that the problem was two U Joints, I paid them and they replaced them. Vibration MUCH, MUCH better, but still noticeable between 35-50 MPH.

Got tired of vibration, took it to a family recommended mechanic on Monday morning. He called me Monday afternoon, told me that all three U Joints were bad, another bushing maybe on the drive shaft was bad. He replaced all three U joints, the bushing, and gave it a tune up and transmission service. This cost me $1,800. Tuesday when I went to pick up the truck, he told me that the drive shaft was out of balance and that it needed sent out and repaired for another $100-150. Picked up the truck last night, vibration is horrible now, as bad as ever. Called mechanic, he told me "it needs a new rear end." Can someone give me an idea what might be wrong with this thing? I love the truck, its paid off, I want to keep it, but I can't drive a rattletrap, and I SURE can't keep throwing money at it. I can feel the vibration in the steering wheel and in the gas pedal at all times, REALLY bad at 30MPH and up.

I've had it since it had 20,000 miles on it and has never been in an accident

HELP

Bigbear318

Check your motor and trans mounts. Then we need to know other things, does it vibrate while in park or standing still? If you have 80psi tire pressure reduce the rears to 55 as long as not towing. If you know a mechanic that has a belt tension gauge have him check the belt for wearor if this has never been changed replace the belt on engine as well as tensioner. Also check torque converter bolts for loosening up. It still could be a bad bearing in rear end but normally these don't go like that unless it 's low on fluid.

No vibration while in park or standing still. He replaced a couple serpentine belts and a tensioner, I forgot to mention that. Is there something that could make the UJoints go bad twice in 3 months? I don't know if that's a clue or not

Bigbear318
They could but normally do not. The normal tip off is if you see rust around the seals or if they weren't lined up correctly to begin with it would give you a vibration or if shaft was bent. Also if this is a two piece driveshaft the cneter support bearing can give yo a vibration as well. Also reading your article I see the back tires were not checked for balance. But not sure you just didn't leave that out. Without looking at this truck it 's hard to diagnose a problem like what you are having. Have you tried moving tires from front to rear to see if it makes any kind of a difference? A Bad tire will do that like give you fornt end shake that you never had. Look for bulging on rear tires or a bent wheel back there. I really can't think of much more other than actually seeing the truck. No sense coming to me lol. But check for a broken motor /trans mount as well.