WONT START

2004 Ford Ranger • 150,000 miles

I have a 2004 Ford Ranger 3.0 and while I was driving it died. It was still rolling and it started again and quickly died. I checked the spark plugs to insure that they were arching and they were (they're still factory wires). I also checked the pressure of the fuel coming into the engine from the fuel pump. The pressure was good as it shot up to the hood. If I turned the switch on without cranking, allowing the fuel pump to activate a couple times, the engine started and died about 1-2 seconds later. I'm at a loss as to what could be wrong. Please help.
Dhill1986

Is this a standard transmission? I ask only because you said it died, and while rolling started again, before dying. Did it stumble a bit before it died, or just shut off instantly? Without checking fuel pressure with a gauge, you cant verify good fuel pressure. By pressing the schraeder valve in, and allowing fuel to squirt out only verifys that theres enough pressure to do just that. Has the check engine light come on? Its possible that your fuel pump is on its way out, however it would have stumbled 1st before shutting off. If your losing spark, it will act as if you turned the key off. This usually indicates an electrical malfunction, and can be a number of things.

Madmike1735
-Your fuel pressure should be 60-65 psi with key on engine off-

If you're getting good spark at all times and it refuses to start-try checking the fuel pump relay and inertia switch-start here

It did actually stumble quite a bit before actually dying. The check engine light never came on and hasn't came on yet.

Dhill1986
I have seen fuel pumps give the same symptoms. Let this thing sit overnight. See if it fires right up, and runs for a minute or to before it acts up. The fuel pump is nothing more than an electric motor. When they go bad, they usually work for a minute before they get hot. You will still need to verify your fuel pressures though. Check it after it dies on you, this way you can verify your fuel pressure is low, and you can go from there.

Madmike1735
Ok; the tow truck ended up taking it to their shop and said they would look it over and let me know what the problem was. If I dont like their price i'm just going to have it towed back to my place. I'm hoping it's just the relay. I sat for 2 hours waiting for the tow truck last night and it never would start even after sitting for that long.

Dhill1986
Keep us posted. And let us know what they suggest.

Madmike1735