DIFFERENTIAL SEAL LEAKS

2004 Ford F-150 • 117,000 miles

We have a 2004 Ford F150 FX4 4X4 with limited rear differential. I want to replace the rear differential's oil seal which is located next to the flange. I would like to know if there is supposed to be a washer after I have reinstalled the flange be fore the nut is tightened on the pinion. When I removed the old one there was no washer. Also, I would like to know after I have replaced the oil seal and reinstalled the flange how much is the nut supposed to be tightened. I would appreciate your help before I continue to work on our vehicle. Thank you for your help.

Jim
Jim Saad

Remove brake calipers to reduce load on axles, use an in/Lb tension wrench to determin the turning load of the pinion, as you need to re set this as close a possible to what is set now, this diff uses a collapsible spacer so over tightening will upset the preload, if over tightened you can't just back it off, a new spacer and full preload set up will have to be done, also mark the alignment of the flange on the pinion shaft for correct re alignment on installation, see pic for exploded view of pinion seal set up.

Mhpautos
I replaced the differential's oil Seal which is which is located next to the flange. Since we initially failed to count the number of turns and mark the location of the flange in relation to the rest of the differential before removing the old oil seal when tightening the nut back we simply tightened it by very small turn amounts, one at the time until we noticed no more up and down movements of the pinion shaft. Now when we tested the vehicle we noticed a small humming noise between 50 and 60 km/h only. We would appreciate your help in telling what to do to get rid of this noise. Thank you for your help.

Jim

Jim Saad
You will have to do a new preload set up, you will need a new collapsible spacer and check that the pinion bearings are ok, no pitting and no wear marks.

Mhpautos
Mhpautos, IS CORRECT

AS FAR SORTA HOW THIS LOOKS. GET ANOTHER TAB GOING, SO YOU CAN GO BACK AND FORTH. HERE'S THE LINK. MORE INFO FOR WHAT TO DO THERE IS BELOW IT

PROPER TOOLS---OR AS CLOSE TO THEM, AS POSSIBLE, IS A MUST

A HOLDING TOOL IS PREFERRED---A MONSTER PIPE WRENCH WILL DO, IF YOU HAVE TO.I SAW ONE BROKE SLAP OFF AT THE NUT, WHEN SOMEONE USED AN IMPACT WRENCH, AND DID NOT BACK HOLD!

AT THE BOTTOM IS A PIC OF MY HOMEMADE HOLDING TOOL

PAGE 2F-27 RIGHT COLUMN--START AT "PINION GEAR BEARING PRELOAD ADJUSTMENT"

THEN ON PAGE 2F-39 SPECS----AMC JEEP AXLE.17-25 IN. LBS.

THAT IS RIGHT!---I WAS WRONG WITH "5" ON THE LAST ANSWER (TRICK OR TREATERS DRIVING ME CRAZY. MY DOGS BARKING TOO!)

ANYWAY, WITH AXLES IN, WHEELS OFF, I WOULD NOT GO PAST 30 IN. LBS. TESTING THE DRAG WITH A IN. LBS. TORQUE WRENCH---AFTER CRUSHING

WITH A NEW "CRUSH SLEEVE" THE INITIAL CRUSHING IS HARD TO DO, IT WILL TAKE A 1/2 PULL BAR/ BREAKER BAR AND A LOT OF ELBOW GREASE TO CRUSH IT----TO GET THE BEARINGS JUST TO SEAT TO "ZERO PRELOAD", PRELOAD WILL WITH YOUR "30 IN. LBS. DRAG" WILL BE MORE "CRUSH"!

SO IT WILL BE CRUSH--GET RID OF SLACK--CRUSH---GET RID OF SLACK--CRUSH--NO SLACKCRUSH---TEST WITH IN. LB TORQUE WRENCH---CRUSH---TEST---CRUSH---IT'S GOOD!

OR. OVER-CRUSH---NEW NUT---NEW CRUSH SLEEVE---START OVER!

BUILDING A REAR END IS KINDA AN ART THAT'S DWINDLING AWAY, PROPER SHIMMING, IS REQUIRED WHEN YOU CHANGE BEARINGS, ETC. TOO MANY PEOPLE THROW IT TOGETHER AND DO NOT USE THE DEPTH CHARTS AND TOOLS

FURTHER ON DOWN IS "TRACK LOCK" THIS IS POSI-TRACTION AND WORKS SIMILAR TO YOURS

USE A HOLDING TOOL--BACKING OFF OR OVER TIGHTENING MEANS A NEW CRUSH SLEEVE AND NUT!

PAGE 10-5PIC OF USING A HOLDING TOOL

ANY OF THIS MAKE SENSE?

GOOD LUCK

2004 Ford F-150 Drivetrain Problem with 117000 miles

We Have A F150 Fx4 4 X4 With Limited Rear Differential. I Want To Replace The Differential's Oil Seal Which Is.

Jim

Jim Saad
2004 Ford F-150 Drive train Problem with 117000 miles

After we replaced the rear differential's oil seal which is located next to the flange we replaced the crushable spacer or washer. Then we re installed the flange and tighten the nut a lot so that the collapsible spacer was crashed to the point that there was no more up and down play room with the flange. However, we noticed that there is in and out playroom when manually turning the pinion shaft clockwise and counterclockwise. Is this normal? If not, then should we continue to tighten the pinion shaft nut more? We do not want to tightend it and damage the bearings. Thank you for you help.
Jim

Jim Saad
IF YOU INVESTIGATED THE LINK TO THE JEEP MANUAL---YOU HAVE SEEN THE COMPLEXITY IN DOING A JOB LIKE THIS--ESPECIALLY IF YOU DO NOT HAVE THE SPECIAL TOOLS TO MEASURE THE SYSTEM AS IT IS TIGHTENEDWHAT I'M GETTING AT IS, NORMALLY IT IS NOT AS EZ AS TORQUING A NUT AND YOU ARE DONE!

I KNOW YOU WANNA DOT THIS RIGHT---AS I TRY TO DO WITH MY JEEPS

I WENT INTO MITCHELL I TO LOOK FOR AN EXPLODED VIEW: INFO ABOUT THE WASHER

I HAD 8 CHOICES OF REAR ENDS----JUST FOR GIGGLES I CLICKED INTO ONE. AND I JUST LOOKED FOR DIAGRAMS. THERE WERE 309 DIAGRAMS. JUST FOR THE ONE AXLE!

WHATCHU GOT? EXCURSION--SUPER HEAVY DUTY--DANA 80--DANA S110--DANA S135--10.50 RING GEAR--FULL FLOATING AXLE DANA----FULL FLOATING AXLE EXCURSION?

MAYBE I CAN GET AN EXPLODED VIEW WITH THE RIGHT APPLICATION

MAYBE THE PROCEDURE

A REPAIR MANUAL OR A FORD SERVICE MANUAL WOULD REALLY BE YOUR BEST FRIEND

I AM NOT ALLOWED TO COPY (ACTUALLY PREVENTED FROM) THE MITCHELL I PROCEDURES (TEXT) I AM PERMITTED TO COPY DIAGRAMS.

WHAT I'M GETTING AT IS---SOMEONE HAS ALREADY WRITTEN THE BOOK---IF IT GETS "DEEP" AND "LONG".I WILL NOT BE WRITING A 2ND BOOK!

SORRY! I'LL LET YOU KNOW MY SITREP, WHEN YOU SEND MORE AXLE INFOTAGS #s ON IT MAY HELP TOO