FORD EXPLORER TRANSMISSION PROBLEM

2004 Ford Explorer • 96,000 miles

I was hearing clunking noises in the engine. I took suv to mechanic. They changed the transmission fluid & filter. The next day I pulled up to a stop sign. At my turn to cross I pushed the gas & nothing happened. I put the brake back on & a few seconds later I heard & felt it shift into gear. Took suv back to mechanic. They checked oil level which was fine. They drained the oil & took off the bottom pan to check out things & run diagnostics. They told me it is either the forward drum or the overdrive sprag, but wouldn't know for sure until the took it all apart. I called around to a regular transmission shop to ask questions. One shop told me they would not replace either w/out also replacing the converter. Does this diagnostic sound correct? Is it necessary to also replace the converter? What should be the price range of this repair? Can I drive until it is repaird?
Carieschmidt

It sounds possible. I would also recommend replacing the converter. As far as a price, it is hard to say without knowing what is wrong. A full rebuild is around 2K.

Can I drive it for a day or 2 until I get it fixed without causing damage?

Carieschmidt
That is something I can't answer. I'm not sure what the problem is. I do have a question. You said the noise was from the engine. Why did they service the transmission? Also, did the noise go away when they serviced the trans?

The noise sounded like it was coming from that area. At least the front 1/2 of the vehicle. The serviced the transmission because they said they seen a leak & it was low even though I said there were no drip spots in my driveway. I drove it home without hearing it but I described what happened the next morning. When it did engage into drive I drove onto work & felt it lag slightly a couple of times, but the noise went away.

Carieschmidt
I can't think of anything in the transmission that would make that noise and be fixed by servicing the transmission.

Ok thank you, so it sounds like I have a bigger problem than the oil level. So can I safely drive it for a few days before I get it repaired? They mechanic has me believing I'll do more damage and possibly need a complete transmission repair if I drive it at all.

Carieschmidt
I hate to say it, but I would suggest having the problem repaired before driving it. It can do more damage.

Ok thank you.

Carieschmidt
Sorry for the bad news. I hope I helped.