WIERD TICK-TOCK SOUND COMING FROM BEHIND DASHBOARD

2004 Chrysler Pacifica • 54,000 miles

I replaced the blower motor resistor yesterday because the fan just blew hard all the time, and was not adjustable. I disconnected the battery while doing the replacement.

Now the blower is working great, but there's sometimes a tick-tock sound coming from behind the dash on the driver's side. My ears tell me it's located near the left edge of the instrument cluster and the left vent.

I can make the sound happen by opening and closing the door. The sound happens with or without keys in the ignition. It will continue for about 15 seconds and then stop. Sometimes when I'm driving, hitting the turn signal will cause the sound to start as well.

At first I thought it was the turn signal or the emergency flashers because the sound is very similar. But it's definitely louder and slower than either of those two sounds.

Did I screw something up when I disconnected the battery? Thanks!
Sadkins

We need to narrow the noise down to a location of a part. Does it sound like it might be a door actuator no shutting off?

Thanks for the quick reply. I don't know what a door actuator does, so I'm not sure. But the sound sure seems to be in the dash, not in the door. It's also pretty much inaudible from the engine compartment if I open the hood, even if I put my ear right up to the area it seems to be coming from. Can I remove a plastic panel to try to locate the part by sight?

I could try to record the sound with a good mike and send that along.

Sadkins
Door actuator iam talking about opens and closes or postions ac doors like recircualtion mode position or temp depending on how your ac box is set up. Try opening and closing the recircation door then try other functions to see if the noise changes from doing that. Let me know what you find.

Messing with recirc and the other climate settings had no effect. I do have a clearer definition of the symptoms though. First of all, the tick-tock sound is triggered by two events: opening the driver door, and pressing the brake pedal. When either of these events happens, the tick-tock starts immediately, and continues for 30 tick-tocks (so 60 sounds total). Then it stops until I hit the brakes again, or open the driver door. I have found no other doors or controls that cause the sound to start. And it happens even if the key is not in the ignition -- the door and the brake pedal will both cause the sound to start. I drove for 20 minutes on a highway without hitting the brakes and never heard the sound, so I'm confident that it doesn't start by itself randomly -- only because of the door or the brake. So, I know the basic location of the source of the sound, and I know what triggers it. What could opening the door or pressing the brake have in common in terms of sending signals to other systems in the car? Should I try taking out fuses one at a time and see which one makes the sound go away?

Sadkins
I think its a aftermarket installed add on so pulling fuses would be difficult to track it down using that method. Also what if it was on the brake circuit?You need to find the noise of whats making it?Thats the first thing I would do if I was there checking out your car.

That's why I asked earlier if it's possible to remove a panel or two and see what's behind there. I might be really obvious what part is making the noise if I could see it.

Sadkins
So is it the drivers side or passenger side?Up high or down low?

To quote the second paragraph of my original post: Now the blower is working great, but there's sometimes a tick-tock sound coming from behind the dash on the driver's side. My ears tell me it's located near the left edge of the instrument cluster and the left vent.

Sadkins
In case there's some confusion here, I don't have a blower problem. The tick-tock sound started happening after I replaced my blower motor resistor. The blower is fine now. It just seems that when I disconnected and reconnected the battery, this tick-tock problem showed up.

Sadkins
I was just trying to get the facts to help you as best as I can right now iam answering a lot of questions at the same time. So please cut me a little slack if I ask a question more then once.I posted how to remove the cluster bezel which looks like it will get the vents off also.