CHEVROLET MALIBU AXLE PROBLEM

2004 Chevrolet Malibu • 14,200 miles

Tailight, brake light, and turn signal all on passenger side not working. Not the bulbs, electrical?
I went to get my passenger side brakelight and tailight replaced and they showed me the electrical socket, I guess that's what it's called, and the slightest tap and the bulb went out again, so they said it was an electrical problem. I paid for a diagnostic test and waited. That's when I realized I did have my brakelight replaced not too long ago, and that it shoudn't have burnt out that fast, but I didn't make the connection until just then. They replaced my bulbs right then and a few wires they said were fried; but because they were about to close didn't have time to do more and I needed my car so I left. But they warned it could go out at any time. After a few weeks, my lights went out again. I called back and asked how much it would be to get this new 'socket' and what the installation cost and labor would be, but they are giving me the runarounds and not responding. Maybe they don't want to do the work or know they overcharged me for what they did do (I'm a woman, it happens to me a lot) - I don't know, I just got a ticket from the police and I just want to get this fixed. So do you know about how much it would be to repair this, parts and labor? Am I looking at about $100 to $200 or something more than $500? And does this sound like it's the electrical socket or something else? I know I'll have to go somewhere else and pay another $100 for a diagnostic test, but I just want to get a rough idea of what I can expect to pay so I can be somewhat prepared. Any help you can give would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Tinkerchel

I'd think it should be less than 200 to fix this. When you say fried wires that is not good. I'd check around a few more shops if yo have htem in your area to see if they can look at it as well as fix it. Prices can vary accross the u.S. I'd check the wires and ground on this if the socket is bad i'd replace that as well. But i'still think it cold be fixed for under 2 bills.I can't beleive that the harness is messed up that bad and the socket can't cost that much either.

This socket can be purchased at the parts store for under $10 with a light bulb. Is it in the front or the rear? To replace the socket all you have to do is cut 3. Wires and then slice them back together and put the socket back in. This repair should be under $50. Just go to the parts store buy a socket and bulb and then take it to the repair shop and say how much to put this on. If it's in the rear you may be able to do-it-yourself. You can get a tub of axle grease take the bulb smearing all around the bulb but not on the glass part. The last the thing is to just put it back in and reinstall the socketand see if it blows again

Cadieman
Thanks, it actually ended up being more of a problem than anticipated costing hundreds of dollars and on top of that my car stalled on my way to work and turns out I also was having ignition problems and a few other problems. I ended up trading it in for a new car, I just couldn't put not one more dollar in to repair that car. But thanks for all the feedback.

Tinkerchel