IF I BUY AN INSTRUMENT CLUSTER FOR A ONLINE, WILL IT WORK?

2004 Chevrolet Impala • 180,000 miles

Cluster is wacko
Spinowski

How do you know its a bad cluster?What are the symptoms?A bad body control module can make a cluster look like its bad.

"Wacko" doesn't mean much, but if you're planning on replacing any computer module on an '02 or newer GM product, be prepared for the expense of having the dealer program it to your car. They started that nonsense to cost you money around 2002 on some models and with some computers.

Since all manufacturers have turned instrument clusters into complicated computers, problems have been very common. If you're buying a used one from a private party, you'll likely be buying one that will develop similar problems to what you already have. It's safer, but more expensive, to buy one through the dealer and get a warranty with it.

Sorry for the lack of detail. Speedometer, tach, temp gauge, and fuel gauge do not work. Air bag light and ABS light intermittently flash on and off.

Spinowski
Start with saturntech9's suggestion. Then, if the cluster is cheap enough, you might try it. If the symptoms are exactly the same, head for the Body Computer, and you will have a spare cluster to try next time.

Satruntech9 may be able to tell you if the anti-theft system comes into play and whether the 30-minute relearn procedure will work.

I would first check for codes in the computer if there are any post the exact code numbers not code descriptions. Thats where need to start problem is we need to see if there are any body control module codes as well as other codes. All the basic code readers wont read the body codes.

You could also have a shop try to sweep your guages to pin point the problem

Mikederouin88
All that will show is they don't work properly. We know that already.

Stepper motors control the guages, The manufacturer of these motors supplied GM with 10's of thousands of the bad motors. These motors were used in all makes and models of GM cars and trucks. If all the guages progressively failed I believe this is your problem. I have a 2004 chevy impala ss and had the same problem, in the beginning I could "rock the key" from acc to off and reset the speedo, I checked with the chevy dealership and the new cluster was too expensive to replace. I spoke to an engineer (my Uncle) at delfi electronics and he clued me in about the problem with the stepper motors. I found them on the internet for $6.00 a piece. Removed the insturment cluster from the car, removed the motors by de-soldering to pins from the circuit board. And soldered the new ones in. (Use a fork to remove the indicator arms from the motors) In total I had about 4 hours removing, replacing the motors, and reinstalling the cluster. I also installed new led lights in the cluster while I had the cluster out. 7 motors and lights new soldering gun $56.00 total to fit it.

Coryhuskins
Thanks for the information coryhuskins. The clue here, as you pointed out, is the gauges failed at different times.

Now ask your uncle why they are so selfish as to not sell us car radio service manuals and parts since 1994. Could it be they want to lock up the huge radio repair industry for their two grossly over-priced authorized repair centers?

You guys are good lol I never heard anything about each inop gauge stop working at different times?They just said they were inop and the air bag and abs light flash on sometimes. So where do the abs and air bag lights tie in with bad motors?