VOLKSWAGEN PASSAT ENGINE PROBLEM

2003 Volkswagen Passat • 92,000 miles

My check engine light went on. I took it to the dealer and was told I needed a camshaft position sensor and serpentine belt. They also replaced a side marker bulb and performed a brake fluid flush. $1125 later the engine light comes back on when I drive it home after picking up the car from the dealer. I take it back the next day and they say there are cam correlation faults in the system and suspect timing chains are stretched causing the failure, to the tune of $3700! Had they found this the first time around, I would have never spent the $1125. Does all this sound right?

What size engine? Camshaft position sensors can be changed without moving a timing belt. The serpentine belt is also straight forward to replace. What exactly was done for $1125?

Take it back. If the codes are different than before, then something was not done right.

Thomas

Exovcds