TOYOTA YARIS ENGINE PROBLEM

2003 Toyota Yaris • 50,000 miles

Hi, my Toyota Yaris 2003 semi-automatic has appeared to have developed a fault, when I travel a short journey all of a sudden the nuetral light starts flashing and the car loses drive, also the red transmission light comes on, if I turn off the engine and start it again immediately I can drive it again until it changes up to 2nd gear and a few yards down the road the same thing happens again, no gears however if I leave the engine switched off for a short period (10 to 15 minutes) the problem seems to correct itself and the car drives fine once again, could you please give me some advice on this, I would be very grateful.
Binnynige

An error has been detected by the transmission control system which then switches to "limp mode".
You need a scan to check for trouble codes and proceed with rectifications as per the result of the trouble codes present.

Thank you very much, you've been most helpful.

Binnynige
You're welcome. Let us know the codes and we shall see what needs to be done.