SUZUKI JIMNY DEALER PROBLEM

2003 Suzuki Jimny • 45,000 miles

I have a 53 4x4 Auto Suzuki Jimny. When starting from cold, it will take at least 2miles of driving for the vehicle to change into top gear. Until it does change it is running in excess of 4000 rpm
and there is severe steering judder. After approx 2-3miles it wil change into top gear and the juddering will cease and the revs at 60mph will drop to about 2500-3000, which is normal.
If, when first starting the vehicle from cold, it is left stationary to warm up for 10-15mins, it will change into top gear within 800 yds. It had a complete service at 42000 miles, but the gearbox filter was never changed but the gearbox fluid was replaced with new. Once the vehicle has changed into top gear, it has no further trouble throughout the rest of the day. Could this fault be caused by a dirty gearbox Filter. I am concerned that if this is not causing the fault, could this be anything to do with the "change soleoids" in the gearbox.
I would be grateful if anyone reading this question that has had similar problems with this model, could help me out with an explanation, as I am a little worried about putting it into the local suzuki dealership until I hav some idea of what the problem could be. My thanks for anybody who can help. Roy Whitney

Problem should be related to the valve body and can be due to solenoids etc. I would suggest checking for trouble codes for a start.