THERMOSTAT

2003 Saturn L300

Engine Cooling problem
2003 Saturn L300 6 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic 101565 miles

I need to figure out how to remove a thermostat on 2003 saturn l300 3.0 V6. I know it is at least a four hour job. Im just not sure what all it takes to do it
Kale171

It requires removing the upper intake manifold for starters, and to do that you'll need a special tool to release the clamps going to the manifold. Then you have to remove the lower manifold and fuel injector rail. If you need more info I can help you out, but it is a bit entailed.

Basstech
Is it necessary to remove the injectors and lower manifold? Or can it be done just by removing upper manifold? I have a manuel that says the latter yet the pic they provide shows everything removed.

Jimlevan
You dont need a special tool to release the intake boot clamps all you need is a small pockect screwdriver you insert it into the gap of the opening where the clamp locks over itself then move the screwdriver up. The clamps pops open I have done it a ton of time while resealing the leaking oil cooler plates and thermostats. To close the clamp I use the small channel lock end cutters they work great. You do need a gm fuel release too to remove the fuel lines and reverse torx sockets and torx sockets to remove the bolts. You also need to be careful when remove thermostat extension tube from the thermostat housing that you dont break its retaining tab. You do have to remove the upper and lower intake plentuims and intake spacer plate.

Is it just me or is that a whole lot of work just for a simple thermostat? Do I need to replace all gaskets/seals/o-rings while doing this?

Jimlevan
I think for the average do it yourselfer it will be challenging. You can reuse all the seals except if you only replace the thermostat and not the whole housing I would replace that seal. Another thing you have to watch out for is tearing the intake boots.

I have removed the plenum, the fuel rail/lower intake, the spacer and now I find that the thermostat housing cannot be removed. It won't fit. I cannot remove the extension tube due to the dip stick tube is in the way. Any suggestions?

Jimlevan
Untill you pop the thermostat tube out of the housing the housing wont come out. Leave the housing bolted down then remove the bolt by the dipstick tube that goes into the tab holding the tube in place. Then try pulling and rocking twisting the tube out of the housing. If that doesnt work then you will need to pry gently on the retaining tab close to where it connects to the tube. You have to be really careful that tab is pretty easy to break. Also that housing is a tight fit you have rotate it and pull it out. Also I hope you got two new orings for the end of that thermostat tube?

I have done all that. The tab for the tube is behind the dipstick tube and I cannot remove the hose from the end of the tube because some ******* who built this engine has the hose clamp tabs behind the the timing belt housing. Where would I get those extension tube o-rings? What happens if the tab is broken on the extension tube?

Jimlevan
Saturntech9, I just want to say thank you as well. My problems are not doing the work itself. My problems are the what if I break this or that. You have been a big help.

Jimlevan
If you break the tab you will have to replace tube that tab is the only thing that holds that tube from coming out of the housing. You just have to work that tab loose from its place another thing that really helps you probably didnt notice is there is a 10mm nut over in that area. Remove the nut and pull that tab off the stud the nut screws on. There probably lies your problem I bet you never removed that nut. As far as that hose clamp the best way to get that clamp off is with a pair of remote cable operated hose clamp pliers which you probably have never see before. The best place to get those orings would probably be a caddy dealer. Since they use the same motor in there catera. The other gm dealers would probably be puzzled if you asked for those orings. Let me know what happens and what ever you do dont break that tab.

Page 1 of 4