- RELAY THAT CONTROLS DASH LIGHTS & KEY ENTRY LIGHTS GETS HOT AND "CLICKS" - DASH LIGHTS GO OFF & KEY ENTRY LIGHTS "BLINK" AFTER CAR IGNITION IS TURNED OFF. WHAT CAN I DO TO STOP THIS PROBLEM? I HAVE ALREADY CHANGED THE RELAY AND IT DIDN'T HELP

2003 Saturn L200 • 62,500 miles

When I turn off the ignition, per the above question, the back and front blinker lights blink off and on continually until the battery is drained.
Pattyk

There is a short somewhere in the systems being powered by the relay. Or, you've added foglights or driving lights and are powering them off the same circuit.

Rivermikerat
I guess I will have to find a mechanic who works on electrical systems. No, I haven't added anything other lighting.
Thank you for your response.

Pattyk
Just to add to this one what relay?The keyless entry and the inside lights are controled by the body control module. So what is exactly getting hot?

The relay on bottom left inside fuse box (drivers side)gets hot. When you pull it out, the dash lights and keyless entry lights go out. If you don't pull it out the keyless entry lights stay on blinking continually after ignition is turned off and car locked.
This happens when the relay is hot only. It heats up after driving a while. I have changed it once already, but it didn't help.

Pattyk
What is the relay labeled?Also do you ever have a problem with the car not starting the door lock inop the key fob inop wont unlock or lock the doors?The gas or temp gauge inop security light on solid or flashing?The car wont come out of park?You said the inside lights will flash like a strobing effect?Does that also include the glove box light?Those cars are known for having bad body contol modules I have replaced so many that I have the two different body control modules for each as testers from the all the ones I have changed.I have seen all the things happen I listed from them going bad including flashing inside lights head lights. I even had a car that the shifter interlock solenoid that keeps the shifter from coming out of park without having your foot on the brake was just rapidly clicking.

Can't find a lable at this time. Will check and again later.
No to all possible problems you mentioned. The keyless entry lights are blinking on the outside (back & front), not the inside. The odometer and radio lights are the only dash lights that remain on - the rest are dark, day and night. We live out in a very rural area, but tomorrow we are taking the car in to see if someone can locate the problem. Thank you very much for you help.

Pattyk
Could very well be a bad body control module I have seen them do a lot of crazy things. If I was looking at the car the first thing I would do is swap the body control with one of my testers to see if that stopped the problem. Also you dont have a aftermarket alarm?

Thank you very much. No, we have not added an after market alarm. There was an alarm already installed.
Is a body control module expensive?

Pattyk
The factory alarm?Or a aftermarket one?Does the remote have a GM part number?Also i know where to get a good price on those body control modules http://www.parts.com but they have to be programed at the dealer they contain your mileage ootions etc.

It is a factory installed alarm system. That would be our keyless entry - Yes, it is part #22592190.
Thank you.

Pattyk
Page 1 of 2