TURN SIGNAL ON A 2 SEDAN DOES NOT WORK AFTER BULB REPLACEMENT

2003 Saturn Ion • 64,000 miles

I have a 2003 Saturn Ion 2 that has a left turn signal that has burned out. I have changed the bulb but the signal still does not work. All the other signals work. The emergency flasher makes all but the left front light flash. I checked the interior driver side fuse panel "Park" fuse for burn out but it was o.K. The steering column switch might be worn out.
Or the flasher might be going out. Would the other signals work if the flasher was going out? Does the under-the-hood fuse block have a fuse that would be involved in a problem like this?

What should I do now?
Sonofwood

So does the left side flash fast and only one bulb flash?

Yes. That's right. That's what first alerted me to the problem.

Sonofwood
So is the front one out?Also was the turn signal campiagn ever performed on that car?

Yes. It's the left front signal that's out. I guess I didn't make that clear at first. I don't know what a signal campaign is. As far as I know a signal campaign has never been performed on the car.

Sonofwood
What was happening on those cars was the front bulbs were getting too hot the sockects and wiring to the socket as well. So what they did was come. Out with a campaign to have resistors add inline before the bulb socket free of charge we replaced the bulbs and the sockects if needed. Pop the head light loose and see if there is a white resistor inline the socket bolted to the frame with a nut and bolt?Also see if the wires to the socket or the socket itself is blackened?

We bought the car new in 2003 and have never had a problem with bulbs going out except for the rear turn signal lights going out occasionally. It was always just a matter of changing the bulb. To my knowledge I have never replaced a front turn signal bulb. We never have brought in the car in response to a recall of any kind. When I changed the bulb this time I did not notice an inline socket bolted to the frame like you describe. But I will look to see if it's there and get back to you.

Sonofwood
Alright its white and not a socket but a resistor. If its not there let me know and will get you the campaign number.I have performed a ton of those.

O.K. I have checked the left front turn signal light socket for blackening and see none. The replacement bulb has not burned out. So it doesn't seem to be a short problem. I check for the resistor bolted on the frame like you describe. I think I may have found it. Please see the uploaded image. Maybe we bought the car after the campaigns were started.

Sonofwood
The campaign didn't start till dec of 2004 so unless you bought it used it wouldn't have been done when. You bought it. It was done though you found what I was talking about. Its most likely a bad harness going to the headlight I have seen a lot of bad ones. Do you have a multimeter to do some testing?

Yes. I have a multimeter. I was thinking the possibly it might be the socket because although it's not burned there does seem to be some looseness when I insert the bulb. This time the bulb kept falling out after I thought I had securely inserted it. Maybe the bulb is not making good contact. The socket is made mostly of plastic and after years of exposure contracting and expanding maybe it does not hold the bulb as securely as needed. So a multimeter might determine if good contact is being made. I take it this harness you speak of is the main electrical connection to the main headlight assembly. Just to look at it, it looks almost new.

Sonofwood
Page 1 of 2