PONTIAC GRAND AM FUEL PUMP PROBLEM

2003 Pontiac Grand Am • 170,000 miles

Fuel Pump Problems. 4 days ago car was driving fine parked it went to get back in and would not start up, listened underneath as I was turning key to on and off position and could not hear fuel pump turn on tried switching relays no difference still no pump coming on. Had it towed to my house to look it over tried starting it in my laneway turned key to on and listened heard the pump startup and charge the fuel lines started it no problem. Ran fine last 4 days in town on highway every startup no issues. Then again this morning started drove fine parked it at friends when I went to start it and nothing again, listened pump not turning on at all, this time layed under car and kicked around at fuel tank, turn key on and fired right up turned off tried again and worked fine, drove home no issues. No my feelin is that something internal on the pump is letting go and probably need to replace the pump? Would this be a correct assumption or should there be anything else I should be testing or if/when I remove pump something on there I should be inspecting that would be causing it to have no power on startup?
Thank you.

If pounding on the tank got the car started, then yes, it sounds like a bad pump.

Wrenchtech