CONDENSATION INSIDE CAR

2003 Mitsubishi Galant • 4 cylinder 2WD Automatic • 65 miles

2003 Mitsubishi Galant ES - I noticed an odor coming from inside the car yesterday. Condensation appeared underneath the mats on the driver side and driver side rear passenger. What could this be from?
Mike Witte

That would mean that either the drain is plugged up and the evaporator housing is filling up with water or the housing is cracked and leaking. A third possibility is that it is draining properly out the drain but due to a missing rubber downspout, it siphon back along the drain pipe and back int to car under the mat. You need to pull the rug back and physically see where it is leaking from.

Wrenchtech
Thanks for the message. OK.I had some guy put it up (for free-shocker) and he says the drain tube is not clogged. Also, the AC is working still so he said if its not the evaporator it could be the heating core. Not sure about the guy. May be trying to get me to pay for something I don't need.

Any thoughts?

Thanks for your help. Much appreciated.

Mike

Mike Witte
If it's the heater core, it's going to be coolant and not water. You said it was water. You would also be low on coolant. It can also be rain water leaking in somewhere.

Wrenchtech
There has been LITTLE OR NO RAIN over the last week. So. The heater core problem would emit a different liquid. Good to know. Any other thoughts? This is quite helpful. I want it fixed but don't want to be taken for a ride because I don't know enough.

Mike Witte
Theres been no rain this past week. So. Not sure about that.

Any other thoughts?

Mike

Mike Witte
No, no other thoughts. I've given you all the options.

Wrenchtech