WHY IS DASH LIGHT IS SHOWING "STOP . CAR TOO LOW "

2003 Mercedes Benz E500 • 40,000 miles

The car is low to the ground on the passenger front side. I can hear the air pump trying to rise off the ground. But it stops suddenly and slowly going back down. The tire is not touching the frame, however extremely low. What can I do to fix this problem. A friend of mine advised me to remove the battery connection to see if it would reset itself. I tried this - but did not work. He also thought that it could be a software problem. I just bought the vehicle used a couple of days ago and I drove 12 hours from Ohio to Tennessee.

Please help
Maggzz

Check for leaks to the air suspension.

I'm experiencing this too. First, it was happening intermittently, now it quit pumping back up after I start the car. Initially, I had a mechanic look at it who said it was a hole in the air system on the left shock. He quoted me 7 hours labor to do one side or 7 1/2 hours labor to do both sides. He said it would be $800 - $900 per side in shocks. I'm lost at what to do here. I don't feel like he has been forthright with me, but now I can't move my car because it won't pump back up. I have driven it for about 2 weeks with the intermittent problem until yesterday. Mine is 2003 Mercedes E500 Sport, 104k miles. Pic below (looks the same height on both sides).

Ejwelchjr
Using a jack and something to support the vehicle and block a wheel, inspect the airlines from the pump/compressor to each corner of the vehicle. Use a spray bottle with a few teaspoons of dish soap and water to check for leaks in the bags and lines.

If possible, use a set of ramps, that way the sensors will tell the system to engage the compressor so it can be checked for leaks. The compressor is most likely cutting out because it detects a leak.

Rivermikerat
I hope this helps. I had the same problem. I removed the right front fender liner allowing access to the air compressor. On the valve body where all the air lines connect, there is a short air line with 2 90degre bends in it, that goes from the valve body to the compressor. Its very short. Like 5 inches. At one of the 90 degre bends, the fender liner rubs on it and puts a very small hole in it. You cant see the hole but you can see where the liner rubbed it and it will have a flat spot on the round tube. Most of the dealers carry this part and its very easy to change. The part cost was about $15 You can do this. Oddly enough, the new part comes with an extra piece of foam padding at that bend to protect the tube from getting damaged again. Good Luck.

TOWYOURASS
SORRY, THAT LAST POST WAS SUPPOSED TO SAY ( LEFT FRONT FENDER NOT THE RIGHT.

TOWYOURASS
The extra piece of foam was added most likely as a retrofit fix because the manufacturer noticed it was a common problem.

Rivermikerat