MERCEDES BENZ C240 SENSOR PROBLEM

2003 Mercedes Benz C240 • 83,000 miles

Our Merc C240 will not crank over at all. Battery is fine as everything else works, voltage tests fine and will not start with a jumper battery either.
It was running rough earlier so I put a scanner on it. It showed a Crank sensor code. I have a new sensor and I'll be installing it hopefully tonight, if I can get to it.
Question is, wouldn't the engine crank over at least, if it is just a crank position sensor problem?
If the sensor has failed completely, can that prevent the car from even turning over?

Trouble codes does not necessarily mean the component is faulty. It is an indication of a fault in the circuit and can be due to wiring etc.

Generally cranking are not affected by faulty sensors but for your vehicle, starting signal is sent by the ME-SFI control unit and trouble codes might affect the cranking circuit.