MAZDA PROTEGE ENGINE PROBLEM

2003 Mazda Protege • 67,000 miles

Car broke down on highway. Engine light came on. Told by tow truck driver that alternator belt broke and burned out alternator. Now told engine burned out need new engine, Can this happen so fast.

Need a little more information on your problem. Was the car running hot? Usually if the alternator belt brakes, the charging light or battery light will come on, the engine will run till the battery goes dead and then dies and won't start unless the battery is charged. Unless the same belt runs the water pump in this case it might have overheated causing severe engine damage, in any case you need to get a second opinion from another shop, sounds like some one may be trying sell you something you may not need. Thanks for using 2CarPros

Mekanic4755
It certainly can. When you lost the belt, you also lost the water pump and apparently you may not have seen the temp gauge rise.

Wrenchtech
He's trying to pull a fast one on you get a second opinion-all that over a broken alternator belt to burn out an engine I don' think so-

The belt also runs the water pump on this one Ras.

Wrenchtech
Wrench-is it an alternator belt or it comes with a serpentine belt I can see the latter part-didn' see anybody not till I answered it-Sorry going on top of you.

Thank You -Wrench, you have a great day and Happy Veteran's Day

No problem Ras. I wasn't first. Have a good day.

Wrenchtech