WHAT IS BEST WAY TO FIND LOST TIMING?

2003 Land Rover Freelander • 131,000 miles

2.6l V6 K-series. I think my problem was "Safe" inscription on crank pulley(no notch). I alligned it to "Safe" arrow on front cover and noticed that after removing crank pulley that notch on splined crank gear was not aligned with 12: 00 arrow on block. Notches on LH cam gears were pointing to eachother "somewhat" (manual said this might be the case) and I turned crank again to be sure that I wasn't 180-deg off. Proceeded with 3-belt change using special tools and followed the manual VERY closely. After re-installing all components, can't turn crank bolt more than 10-deg with wrench before it jams (in either direction). Don't think valves are trashed and have no confidence in timing now. The only thing I can think of is to try to find TDC on #1-cyl and then figure out cams. Please lend experience.

Thank-You,
S. Duffy
1SGretired

I SAW YOU QUESTION SITTING IDLE FOR A WHILE

ALTHOUGH IMMA JEEP CJ KINDA GUY AND DO NOT KNOW MUCH ABOUT YOUR VEHICLE, I AM PRETTY GOOD AT FINDING ANSWERS

A VERY HELPFUL SOURCE I USE A LOT FOR ANY PROBLEM, OR WANT IF I WANT MORE INFO....I'M SORTA PRESENTLY LEARNING MORE ABOUT THE CANON EOS T3 CAMERA MY WIFEY GOT ME FOR CHRISTMAS...A BIG UPGRADE FROM A "EZ SHARE CAMERA"....SOMETIMES I CONSIDER YOU-TUBE AS A TALKING BOOK WHEN READING THE INSTRUCTIONS GETS COMPLICATED

I REALLY DO NOT KNOW IF WHAT THIS FELLER IN THE VIDEO IS ACCURATE W/ HIS INFO---BUT YOU MUST GIVE HIM SOME CREDIT, AS HE WANTS TO SHARE SOMETHING HE KNOWS, AND HAS GONE TO THE TROUBLE OF MAKING THREE VIDEOS....I AM ALSO "BEST GUESSING" THIS IS A VEHICLE LIKE YOURS

WITH THE INFO YOU GET--YOU MUST SORTA DECIDE IF IT IS ACCURATE AND WILL AID YOU

YOU MIGHT ALSO CHANGE MY SEARCH WORDS AND FIND MORE VIDEOS ON THE SUBJECT

1st video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=alL9fUVfaaI

2nd video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sz_oe9tIFH4

3rd video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VP4gOrRsn0Y

PLEASE LET US KNOW IF THIS HELPS YOU

IF NOT LET ME KNOW AND WE'LL SEE IF SOMEONE ELSE WILL STEP UP TO THE PLATE!

GOOD LUCK

CJ MEDIC: Those 3 videos have a lot of good info I already know as a self-taught mechanic. Where he left off (video 4 maybe?) Is how to set the cams (exh & int) on each cylinder bank when crank is TDC on #1 cyl. The. Pdf manual I have does not go into enough detail for what I need to do (didn't put out $260.00 for full manual!). I believe I can figure it out but was hoping someone might have a few good hints from experience. BTW, he was working on a '02 and there are some differences (according to the manual) between '02 and after. Hopefully someone can help!

Thanks!

1SGretired
DID YOU INVESTIGATE OTHER VIDEOS THAT MIGHT BE OFFERED BY SOMEONE ELSE (MAYBE?)

I JUST TRIED THIS (AS I DID FOR #2 AND #3)

"Land Rover Freelander 2002-2005 KV6 Timming belt and replacing valves - Video 4"

ALL IT DID WAS BRING UP THE 1ST 3

THERE IS ANOTHER FELLER ON HERE CALLED "mhpautos" HE IS IN "THE LAND DOWN UNDER"

WAY DOWN YONDER, THEY USE THOSE VEHICLES A LOT (I RECKON 'CAUSE THEY AIN'T EVER DRIVEN A JEEP CJ!)

I HAVE SEEN HIM ANSWER STUFF LIKE THAT, OTHERS SORTA SKIPPED OVER

I WILL SEND HIM A PRIVATE MESSAGE AND SEE IF HE WILL COME ON BOARD AND DISPLAY HIS KNOWLEDGE ON THIS SUBJECT

I DO NOT KNOW THE REASON BEHIND IT, BUT NEWCOMERS CANNOT MESSAGE UNTIL THEY HAVE EITHER POSTED 10 TIMES OR ANSWERED 10 POSTS (SUMTIN' TO THAT EFFECT!). YOU CAN, HOWEVER, RESPOND TO A PRIVATE MESSAGE INITIATED TO YOU BY A "QUALIFYING PARTY" BY HITTING "REPLY" IN THE MESSAGE. CAN BE FOUND, CLICKING ON YOUR NAME AT THE TOP OF THE PAGE (IF IT COMES TO THAT)

I WILL GO FORTH NOW, AND SEND HIM ONE!

I WILL STILL CONTINUE TO SEE ACTIVITY ON THIS POST VIA EMAIL NOTIFICATION AND I WILL "WATCH" AS YA'LL "FIX"

DO GIVE A "HEADS UP" AND LET US KNOW HOW THINGS GO

SORRY I COULD NOT HELP ANY FURTHER, I'D BE LYIN' IF I TRIED!

Hi there, I have been asked by CJMEDEVAC to take a look at your problem, I have had a look at the timing system and it is some what complex, I will study the text which is quite extensive and see if I can post your best options for this problem, firstly take the plugs out and gently. Very gently check that you are not just hitting compression, if there is any resistance you will be touching a valve, I will in the meantine study the text.

Mhpautos
Check pic for initial view.

Mhpautos