LAND ROVER DISCOVERY 2 DEALER PROBLEM

2003 Land Rover Discovery 2 • 169,000 miles

Hi there
I bought a Land Rover Discovery2 V8 automatic in December 2012 and drove about 1500km with it when I got stuck with it. I was going uphill doing 70km/h when it started overrevving and jerking. When I got to the top of the hill I stopped, to check what wrong, I saw that the lights next to the gearlever was flashing. So I got towed home with a rollback.
When I got home the car was cooled off the I started it again to check if its still doing I same. I putting it in drive and could hear it go in gear, but as I left the brake it doesn't move. I had to rev it up to about 4500rpm then it only moves.
The dealership where I bought it sent it to a Land Rover specialist and they said the damages is about R23000.00, but we can buy a second gearbox for R15000.00 with installation and I must pay for this. I consulted and ombudsman and he said they must fix it. I told them about this now they say the clutches in the box needs replacing and it part of "wear and tear".
Is that part of wear and tear? I only had the car for two weeks and did about 1500km.

Please help
MarioMouton

169000 miles? Yes, it is wear and tear.

When you bought it was it as is or did you get a warranty?

Not 169000miles its 169000kilometers
And the consumer protection act of South Africa says that if a dealer sells a vehicle with a roadworthy certificate that buyer have a 6 month warranty

MarioMouton
Then that is the leg you have to stand on when you go at the service manager for the repair.

100 thousand miles is about the life of the trans to begin with. They will argue that point and may very well go with driver abuse as well. You have your work cut out for you. Good luck

laws are different here in the USA