- LOSS OF POWER UP HILL

2003 Kia Carnival • 6 cylinder 2WD Automatic • 105,000 miles

My 2003 Kia Carnival really struggles to go uphill. The minivan seems to run really well other than when we go uphill. If I start going uphill with the car at a full stop, the car really struggles depending on the size of the hill. For really steep hills the car cannot make it up. If I go up the hill with the car already in motion, it seems to drive just fine.

Thank you for all your help.
Ssweilem@gmail.com

Have you ensured the transmission is in the correct gear when starting from a stopped position? A transmission fault can cause that.

Thanks for the reply khlow2008, I did put the gear into first gear and tried to go up the hill, but the car would just lag. By putting the gear into first, is that ensuring that the transmission is really in first gear?

Thanks again.

Ssweilem@gmail.com
Yes, when shifting to 1, it would be in first gear but if the trans is in limp mode, it would most likely be in 3rd.

Have you tried to retrieve for trouble codes?

I think you may be right about putting the car in first gear, but it going into the 3rd. Sorry for the ignorance, but retrieve the trouble codes is what? Is that the device that they attach to the engine or CPU that shows what issues are within the car?

Ssweilem@gmail.com
Yes, that is what I meant. The engine/transmission computer would store trouble codes within if any error had been detected and a scan tool would be able to retrieve the trouble codes and understand what had gone wrong.

Thanks for all your help KHLow2008, I guess that's the next step is to get this error code. I appriciate everything.

Ssweilem@gmail.com
You're welcome.

Let me know if you have anything new.