CLUNKING IN REAR AND BURNING SMELL

2003 Jeep Liberty • 72,000 miles

Had rear axle seal replaced. New fluid, and now I have clunking in rear and burning smell what could it be sound in the rear, emergency brake not working, and a burning smell. What could it be?
Mark Millron

Did you replace the bearingas well?It is the reason for the seal failure. The e brake shoes may be hung up in the rotor. I assume you replaced them as well?

I also had two metal pieces I found in the pumpkin they were kind of shaped similar to almost. Not exactly. Don't know what they could be. Someone told me they were shims for the rear gear box. No, I didn't replace the bearings. The e -brake doesn't seem to be hung up. I did't have the clunking noise until after I replaced the axle seal.

Mark Millron
They are shims for the spider gears and must be returned to ther positions. This amy be the clunking as the clearances are not correct in the rear
re check your work. Did you replace the e brake shoes?

Thanks for the info on the shims for the spider gears. No, didn't replace the e brake shoes. Could that be a problem?

Mark Millron
Picture of the parts found in the pumpkin

Mark Millron
Were there springs inside the carieer?

No springs

Mark Millron