TOUBLE CODE P0216

2003 Isuzu Other

2003 Isuzu 4 cyl Four Wheel Drive Manual 200000 miles

I have a customers Isuzu Rodeo (2003 3.0L TD) currently in my workshop.
Condition was poor cold starting and excessive black smoke when cold. Changing the glow plugs and setting valve clearances seemed a logical place to start as the customer said neither of these had been done. The condition however did not improve.

I then checked for fault codes with my Carman VG Scan tool. P0216 Injection Timing Control Circuit Malfunction is the only code that came up. What I can't find out is what I need to do to rectify this fault.

Any assistance would be appreciated.
OngerupTyres

My software doesnt even show a Rodeo Diesel. Might want to google it and see what you can find out. Where are you anyway? Might help in the search

Jack42
Hi there, I was wondering if you ever sorted this problem out, I do realize that it is quite a while ago now, but I also have a customer with the same code can you shed any light on this one.

Mhpautos
Hi, I own a 2006 euro 3 isuzu nkr turbo intercooler 3.0 truck. When cruising over 50mph and over 2000rpm the "engine check" light comes on and I lose power. Once the engine drops below 2000rpm and whilst under 50mph the light goes out and I again regain power. Note: the engine does not cut out, the engine merely does not respond to the accelerator. If I press the clutch pedal and accelerate the engine, it revs up and may go up to 4 thousand rpm. The fault analyzer showed code P0216 code and so far I have changed the fuel filter. There is ample fuel flow to injector pump and the tiny filter located on the inlet of the pump is clean, I have further placed clips on all fuel lines. I have noticed that when I drive in an erratic manner I can get the vehicle to a high speed, however when I keep the said speed steady the "check engine" light comes on again and I lose power. Can you help.

Andy M
Check back pressure. You may have a plugged catalytic converter. Also check and clean the EGR valve, if so equipped.

Rivermikerat
Hi thanks for that i'll have to see later. A friend mechanic suggested that it is possibly the seal on the front of the injector pump. We replaced it, started up and travelled for 400 meters and the engine cut out completely. I proceeded to locate the problem suspecting the injector pump. One kind gentleman in Lancanshire named Colin who sells isuzu second hand parts stated that it could be the idler gear bearing as he has had a similar problem in the past. I stripped the engine front down and saw that it was in fact what he suggested. I am now looking for the injector pump gear and the idler gear which comes with the bearing. Can anyone help me with locating these parts for a 4JH1-tc engine I believe its the same engine used on the D-Max. Thanks

Andy M
Do a Google search. Most of us are in the US.

Rivermikerat
Finally managed to get a second hand idler gear with bearing, I put everything together but the vehicle would not start. When taking the gear off the injector pump shaft there was no key to relocate the gear back on the exact position. The shaft and gear is tapered. Luckily my friend the mechanic had marked it before taking it off. Once it was back on, the vehicle started first time, but I feel the timing is still not exactly on the spot. Anyway I drove the vehicle down the road and once the engine revs were above 2,000 and constant the engine check light came on again. I believe that it was coincidental that I discovered the idler gear bearing worn something that would have caused me a lot of damage. I now need to connect the analyzer to read the code. I need to check the crankshaft sensor and the transfer pump. Has anybody got any advice? My friend rivermikerat I havent checked the egr as I can go well over the 3000rpm and travel well over the speed limit when driving harsh. However I will check that when I do the easy checks first.

Andy M
Egr valve checked working fine. I am now stuck can anyone tell me how to set the gear on the injector pump so it is on precisely w
where it should be please.

Andy M
Andy, our reference doesn't list anything for an Isuzu Rodeo with a diesel. And I'm unable to find anything from Isuzu that I can identify with a diesel engine.

Rivermikerat
My friend rivermikerat thanks for your reply. As I explained the vehicle is a nkr 3.0l 2005 the engine fitted 4jh1 tc is that of the d-max only difference I believe the d-max is a 2.5l. My main problem I believe was that of the worn idler bearing which brought up the P0216 i.E. Electronic timing malfunction. The bearing has since been replaced however when carrying out the work I moved the injection pump timing gear and I am unable to get the timing on exactly. The shaft of pump and gear are tapered and do not have a location key or spline and I need to know how to set it up. Do you know anyone who can give me directions. I believe a pump specialist would be more appropriate. The manual as you said does not give this information. Regards Andy

Andy M
Page 1 of 2