GETTING A TROUBLE CODE P1404

2003 Hyundai Accent • 89,000 miles

2003 Hyundai Accent GL, four door sedan, with the 1.6L DOHC engine, automatic trans. Received trouble code P1404. Runs fine, other than having the code. How can I repair it? The only other current problem is not with driving, but with filling the tank. The nozzle keeps kicking off, so it takes a long, long time to fill the tank.
Luckydog1949

The fuel tank breather is not working, this is part of the EVAP system, do a scan first and see what codes are set, it may be a vacuum leak in the purge system, let me know what you find so I can narrow down the possibilities.

Mhpautos
First, let me apologize for my typo. The code read was P1401 (Not P1404).
The car is in Texas, with my son, and I'm in Louisiana, on vacation. I've sent him a message asking if any other codes showed up when he took it to Autozone; but, I believe that was the only code that came up. Just waiting on his reply.

Luckydog1949
First of all you should check EVAP canister purge solenoid valve. If it stuck open your engine will suck all air from the fuel tank. Also a blocked canister will cause the system to pressurise and cause problems, when the fuel cap is removed do you notice if it sucks air or is pressurised and blows air out?

Mhpautos
Son said that the P1401 code was the only one that showed up. He doesn't remember any noise at all whenever he removed the gas cap. I asked him to drive it 10 to 20 miles, tomorrow, and then listen for noise while he removes the cap. I'll re-post whenever he gets back to me. Thanks.

Luckydog1949
P1401 I belive this is a EGR insuffcient flow detected trouble code. This could be a few things the obvious faulty EGR Valve. Bad Voltage reading from EGR Valve possibly even a build up of carbon that may be blocking the passages to that of the valve or even the block or intake depending where it is mounted.

Jjimenez8891
That's fine for that code, but nothing to do with the filling problem, so don't expect the EGR to rectify the other problem.

Mhpautos
FINALLY, got my son to check for noise when the gas cap (which he replaced) was removed after driving over ten miles. He said that there was no noise, at all. So, the tank neither has a vacuum, nor is it pressurized.

Luckydog1949
For Hyundai vehicle, the EVAP system is known to cause problems with refilling.

Can you reconfirm if the codes you got is P1401 and not P0441, Purge Flow Incorrect.

Attached is a schematic of the EVAP system. Any fault with the vent and vacuum lines would cause the symptoms described. There are cases whereby the engine would take forever to start while cranking after refilling.

Finally got me, the parts, and the car in the same state! Replaced the evap canister, DM-TL, and the purge control valve and reset the codes (which showed P1401, P1709, and P0442.) Took the car to the gas station and it filled with no problems at all. One problem down! Son told me that the car now seems to have more power than it did before we replaced the parts; and, the codes have not come back, so far. Hopefully that will be all we need to do. Thank you for your great advice!

Luckydog1949
Our pleasure. Closing thread.

Rivermikerat