HONDA CIVIC WHEEL PROBLEM

2003 Honda Civic • 92,000 miles

I was going about 35 mph while making a right turn at a traffic light. I skidded on wet pavement and my car skidded sideways with both driver's side wheels hitting the curb at the median and I stopped. I drove my car away, but there was a whirring sound coming from the front. A Honda dealership put new wheels on the front and back driver's side.

I still hear the whirring sound but they say they don't hear it. It goes ur-ur-ur-ur-ur. The sound starts after the car is going at a steady pace - 35 to 40 mph. Steering is not affected. What could be the problem? What could I ask them to look for? Thank you! .

Most likely cause is a front wheel bearing.

There is a tool you might be able to borrow or rent from an auto parts store that borrows them called the "Chassis Ear". It is a set of six microphones, a switch box, and headphones. You clip the microphones to suspect points, then drive around while listening with the headphones. You can move the microphones around to zero in on the source of the noise. Be aware that many mechanics have never seen or even heard of this tool. Suspension and alignment mechanics use it to find rattles, squeaks, and other noises.