LOOSE AIRBAG SENSOR

2003 Ford Taurus

I have an airbag crash sensor in the front bumper just floating around in there with two plastic clips that should be mounted in two holes but cant seem to see the holes it should be clipped into. Can I get some guidance on where this goes?
Jayhuber

I posted replacing it and a diagram that shows it mounted in place.

Front Impact Severity Sensor

Removal

WARNING: Always wear safety glasses when repairing an air bag supplemental restraint system (SRS) vehicle and when handling an air bag module. This will reduce the risk of injury in the event of an accidental deployment.

WARNING: Vehicle sensor orientation is critical for proper system operation. If a vehicle equipped with an air bag supplemental restraint system (SRS) is involved in a collision, inspect the sensor mounting bracket and wiring pigtail for deformation. Install and correctly position a new sensor any other damaged supplemental restraint system (SRS) components whether or not the air bag is deployed.

WARNING: To reduce the risk of personal injury, do not use any memory saver devices.

NOTE: The air bag warning lamp illuminates when the RCM fuse is removed and the ignition switch is ON. This is normal operation and does not indicate a supplemental restraint system (SRS) fault.

NOTE: The SRS must be fully operational and free of faults before releasing the vehicle to the customer.

NOTE: Repair is made by installing a new part only. If the new part does not correct the condition, install the original part and carry out the diagnostic procedure again.

1. Depower the system. For additional information, See: Air Bag Systems Air Bag(s) Arming and Disarming Service and Repair
2. With the hood open, remove the pin-type retainers and the grill assembly (Taurus only).

3. Remove the front impact severity sensor (14B006).

1. Remove the bolts.
2. Disconnect the electrical connector.
3. Remove the front impact severity sensor with bracket.

Installation

1. Install the front impact severity sensor (14B006).

1. Position the front impact severity sensor with bracket.
2. Install the bolts.
3. Connect the front impact severity sensor.

2. Position the grill assembly and install the pin-type retainers (Taurus only).

3. Repower the system. For additional information, See: Air Bag Systems Air Bag(s) Arming and Disarming Service and Repair

Thank you for your reply but this doesntlook like the sensor in question. It is about 3 inches long, cylindrical, has about a half inch "nipple" one one end and the two wires plugged into the other end. It has two white ridged plastic nipples that look like they just push into two holes about an inch apart. I am trying to attach a pic but my computer doesnt want to play nice. I will keep attempting though

Jayhuber
So does it look like the new diagram I posted if so it's your ambient air temperature sensor.I also posted installing it and a diagram showing it installed. Let me know if that is it. The A/C ambient air temperature sensor: * is located in front of the A/C condenser core near the center of the vehicle.
* contains a thermistor which measures the temperature of outside air as a resistance and sends that reading to the electronic automatic temperature control assembly.

REMOVAL

1. Remove the four scrivets and the grille.

2. Detach the ambient air temperature sensor.

3. Disconnect the ambient air temperature sensor.

INSTALLATION

1. To install, reverse the removal procedure.

Ahhh yes! Thats the one. Well I feel a little better that its nothing compromising my safety! Ill go take a look at it right now and try to put it back in its place. Thanks so much for your help

Jayhuber
Your welcome that's what were here for let me know how it goes?

Once I took another look at it thanks to your diagram I located the two holes in about 5 seconds and snapped it right back in place. I guess I was looking for forward facing holes before thinking it was a crash sensor and needed to face the front instead of the side. You guys are awesome ill be writing a good review for you soon

Jayhuber
Thanks that's what were here for glad to hear you got it all mounted again. Tell all your friends about us.