I HAVE A . I TOOK IT TO A REPAIR SHOP AS I WAS HAVING CHARGING ISSUES.

2003 Ford Focus • 114,000 miles

I have a 2003 Ford Focus. I took it to a repair shop as I was having charging issues. They took the alternator off along with a brand new one, had them both bench tested, both showed that they were good alternators. The mechanic did some more investigating and found the ECM unit was bad. They replaced it with a used one, that wasn't the right one. Called the tech hotline and found out that it wasn't correct. Got the correct used one and my car is running properly again. In the process of replacing the ECM unit it fried my alternator. Now I am being charged for a new alternator. Whose responsibility is it if the alternator was good before they put the wrong part in it?
Reitz_k

The alternator was ok before the repair and should have worked after the repair.
Always a bad idea to use used parts as this is a result of what could happen.
The shop should be responsible as they installed the wrong part. They need to verify it was correct before installing it.

I had just had the alternator rebuilt on February 27th and it was under warranty. Everywhere I went they kept telling me it was the alternator, but the alternator was taken off and bench tested and it said that it was good. They put it back on the car, did some more checking and found that the ECM unit was bad. They called and told me that they had the unit in and it still wasn't charging, they called a tech hotline and the tech said it was the wrong one. Took that one out and got another used one but the right part. They called me and said after they already replaced the alternator with a brand new $243.69 lifetime warranty alternator that it was running prpoerly and that the old one was fried, so they had to replace it. I called and they told me that it was charging like it should. I called again and asked for an itemized list of parts used and what the total bill was. They are charging me for the new alternator. I ddin't authorize the new alternator either.

Reitz_k
If you did not authorize it, then tell them to put the original back on at there expense.

They dont have it, they used it for the core charge. I have been without my car for 2 weeks already and have been borrowing a vehicle to drive my kid to school. I didn't authorize it after they told me the first time that the alternator was good.

Reitz_k
They cannot hold the car hostage for money. You need to make a deal with them. Did you go to management?

The owner of the shop is telling me that I have to pay for it. I can pay half now and give him a post dated check for the rest. I don't write checks and don't have any. So if I pay for half the repair and get my car, how do I not pay for the rest then? I don't want him to take me to court or turn me over to a collection agent either.

Reitz_k
Let him take you to court and present your case. From what you tell me, you are in the right anyway.

Thank you very much.

Reitz_k
Good luck

I went to pick up my car today and drive it less than 2 miles before it started acting up. My car drives worse than before. Now all my gauges are freaking out and the car was surging. Took it back immediately. Also when I first got in to the car the battery was dead, they had to jump start it. What do I now.

Reitz_k