FORD F-350 ALTERNATOR PROBLEM

2003 Ford F-350

2003 - Ford F350, 6.0L Diesel, Lariat, Dully, Fully Loaded:
Battery light goes on and off randomly during all types of driving and temperatures.
Cannot find any loose wires anywhere.
Just replaced both batteries and problem still there. The alternator test good - (~14.6V when running).
Batteries charge right up to ~14.2V from cold start in under 2 minutes.
Mechanic now says to replace the alternator! What?
What does this battery light monitor anyway?
Is there some kind of sensor that could be bad, making the idiot light go on and off?
Should I be concerned about this problem?
Hate to spend hundreds of dollars for an alternator when the problem is only a stupid sensor somewhere.
Help please.
BJay
BBForeSure

I have read and researched your issue and everything I am coming up with is that this is an internal alternator issue. And a replacement alternator should solve your problem.

Homer1967
MAYBE THIS IS GOING ON

http://www.2carpros.com/questions/1989-ford-tempo-98-tempo-bran-new-battery-shut-car-off-didn-t-days-now

I'M NO ENGINEER (I DON'T DRIVE TRAINS) BUT IF YOU HAVE A CIRCUIT BREAKER GOING OFF AND ON----MAYBE IT WOULD MAKE THE LIGHT DO THIS

MAYBE "YOURS" IS ON A CIRCUIT THAT ONLY OPERATES W/ THE KEY ON..........NOT LIKE RICK'S WHICH DRAINED MR. BATTERY(S) EVERY NIGHT....TILL WE FIGGERED IT OUT

JUST A THOUGHT

KEEP US POSTED ON PROGRESS