OIL PUMP PROBLEM

2003 Ford Explorer • V8 AWD Automatic • 93,000 miles

My "check gauges" light comes on and the oil pressure gauge drops to nill. The engine makes some obscenely loud noise until I turn it off. I topped off the oil and restarted the engine. The oil pressure was back, but soon dropped to zero along with the return of that awful noise. I'll have it in the shop soon. I'm guessing this is the oil pump going bad. What do you think? Any idea what's it likely to cost me or how long the repair should take if that is indeed the problem?
FastRobKC

That is a SERIOUS problem and it should not be run until it's fixed. It could be a bad oil pump or possible a plugged up pick up screen from sludge in the engine which would make the problem much worse and basically not repairable. The oil pan needs to be removed to determine the extent of the problem.

Wrenchtech
Thanks so much for the inf! It's on a tow truck headed to my favorite local shop. Hoping it's just a bad oil pump. Any idea how long it takes to replace one on this vehicle? I know what the part costs and my shop's labor rate. Trying to get an idea of what my repair bill might look like in a best case scenario. Sheesh. Didn't ever think "just" a bad oil pump would be good news. : )

FastRobKC
This is no simple job. It appears the front axle has to be removed to get the oil pan off. The flat rate is 11.5 hours.

Wrenchtech