DODGE CARAVAN ALTERNATOR PROBLEM

2003 Dodge Caravan • 280,000 miles

At times the van will come to an almost stall (lose power in dash, radio goes quieter and the heater will slow down) when it slows to approx 45 km. It does not do it every time though. I have gone through four alternators within the past 6 years. This last one was installed two weeks ago and I can hear a noise when driving. Any suggestions on where to start looking?
Keeley

Where is the noise coming from the alternator?Do you have a multi meter to do some testing?

It is coming from the alternator. Yes I can make arrangements to have a multi meter testing.

Keeley
Well if the alternator is whining its probably ad or going bad. At idle read the battery voltage at the battery?

I will have to go to the shop to get that done. I am trying to familiarize myself with the problem so that when I take it to the shop I can explain to the mechanic what it is so that I will not get ripped off. I am hoping this is a fairly inexpensive repair.

Keeley
Who put the alternator in?It should still be under warranty.

Yes, it is under warranty, I just took it to a new mechanic and he assured me that it was under warranty. I just am a little concerned with an electrical issue. Was hoping that you might have came across this before and could recommend something.

Keeley
If you let me know what there repairing along with your zip code I can give you an idea of the repair cost.

I put a alternator in a 2002 caravan about a yr ago and it failed just recently all depends on how good the rebuild/new one is. Things aren't built like they used to be as you well know lol.