MY TICKS OVER BUT WILL NOT START, IT BROKE DOWN ON THE MOTORWAY, THE SPARK PLUGS ARE FINE AND FUEL IS GETTING TO THE FUEL RAIL

2003 Citroen C3 • 90,000 miles

Hi all,

My 2003 C3 ticks over but will not start, it broke down on the motorway, the spark plugs are fine and fuel is getting to the fuel rail. It has had a diagnostic test and it did not report any fault codes.

From what I have read on the internet it seems like the I need to remove the injectors and dry them aswell spray some wd40 on them?

Any ideas people are much appreciated.

Best,
Kevin
Kevinic

It is a petrol. 1.4.

Any help much appreciated.

Thank you

Kevinic
Start with basics. Have the battery checked if it is ticking.

Check compression, fuel pressure, fuel at the rail is not enough, and spark.

How did you get a diag test without it running?

Hi Roy, thanks for the quick response really appreciated. The breakdown people did the test back at the garage and another garage came out and did a test with another bit of kit, both times the engine wasn't running, I didn't know you couldn't diag test while the engine wasn't running (I am by no means a mechanic of any kind)

I know a guy who can check the engine compression so will ask him to do that, (just completely skint and need to keep cost to an absolute minimum) the recovery guys said there was fuel pressure as they unscrewed something near the fuel rail and pressure / fuel popped out..

I have read this advice relating to an injector problem and wondered if you think it is worth my trying...

"As Techiloyd says, the injector connection is the problem. I'll bet you the injector was perfectly okay. All they should have done is disconnect the injector plug, spray with WD40 and reconnect. Then disconnect and do the same with the multiplug where all the injectors join the main wiring loom.
As Techiloyd says, this is very common and all the C3 1.4s I have been to, have never had a new injector."

the link to the original post is here - http://www.rac.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?11914-Citroen-C3-1-4-03-Plate&highlight=injector (it reads similar to my issue)

You advice Roy and anybody else reading is massively appreciated.

Thank you, look forward to your reply.
Kevin

Kevinic
Oh and sorry roy, the battery was fine and the car kept nearly starting bur not quite get there. But I think now I (and mechanics) have been trying it I think the battery might be getting low. But at the time it broke down the guys checked the battery and it was fine.

Look forward to your response reference to whether or not it si worth cleaning and WD40'ing the injectors.

Thank you very much
Kevin

Kevinic
Forget the injectors for now till the basics are nailed down to determine the failure.

Thanks Roy, will do. How much should a Compression test cost me?

Kevinic
1 hour in labor.