NEUTRAL SAFETY SWITCH

2003 Chevrolet Malibu • 4 cylinder FWD Automatic • 145,000 miles

How to replace a 2003 malibu neutral safety switch, malibu will not start all of the time
Bstu999

How do you know it's that switch? Did you test it and find power coming in from the ignition switch to the neutral safety switch with the key in the start position and not find power coming out of that switch?If you didn't check it then you could just be throwing your money away that you could use to buy the part you actually need.

Thanks for the reply, I just want to know if there is a snap ring holding the switch on, I am not able to see one if there is, I am unable to get it off of the shifting linkage.

Bstu999
I posted a diagram of the thing's holding everything on I do not see a snap ring. Are you having trouble removing the shifter cable end from the arm that is above the switch?If so that is a ball on the arm as you can see on the diagram and a large flat blade screw driver will pop that off. Or are you having trouble getting that shifter arm off that is above the switch?

Thanks again, I am having trouble removing the switch from the center bolt, I am able to remove the shifter arm. I am concerned if I pry very hard, I will break the switch and not be able to check it. I am not able to disconnect the wiring harness in the position that it is in. That is why I want to pull the switch to disconnect the harness. Ps if I pull up on the harness were it is attached to the switch, there are times the car will start for a while.

Bstu999
Just to let you know it's easier at least in my eye's to check the switch while it's still installed but to each his own. If you have all the bolt's nut's bracket's and arm off then it should lift off. If you live where it snow's it could be rusted in place from all the salt and snow getting on it. If that's the case you could try getting a rust blaster spray and carefully spraying the metal contact point's and not spraying the electrical part of the switch.

I live in phoenix area, not much problem with snow, I want to thank you for all of your time, have a good year

Bstu999
Yeah I lived in phoenix from july thru dec that was enough for me lol. Your welcome for the help though that's what were here for to help people with there car's. If you need anything else let me know. You have a good year as well.