CHEVROLET CAVALIER ENGINE PROBLEM

2003 Chevrolet Cavalier • 124,000 miles

So I just got this '03 cavalier 2.2 a few months ago, and its really been a dream car for performance. Any way, last week, just driving normally in traffic, the trac off light came on and the tranny started shifting hard between gears. I pulled over and shut off and restarted the car. The light went out and shifting returned to somewhat normal. I never got nor have I gotten yet a check engine light. Now the trac light comes on intermittently, and returns to shifting hard until I restart the car. If I baby it, it will stay off for short trips. It may have been acting funny befor the trac light came on, but now that i'm paying attention, I notice that between 2nd and 3rd with the trac light off, the engine seems to rev and the tach will jump just as it changes gears. 4th gear on the highway will kind of flutter and downshift too easily, almost on its own. 1st to 2nd seems fine as does 3rd to 4th. I did some research and tried changing the TPS, and it didn't work. This seems like a shot in the dark considering I'm not getting a code. I already had my mechanic put the reader on and there's nothing stored in the computer. Thoughts?

Bradddooo

There is a code if the trac light is on. It is not on the engine side, it is on either the suspension or abs side.

We need that code.

Have a trans guy look at it, he might be able to pic something up by freeze frame, or by experience he'll give you an opinion.