AIR CONDITION STOP WORKING & BAD AUX FAN

2003 BMW X5 • 70,000 miles

Noticed aux fan was bad for few months back. Did not repair/replace. Air condition stopped working three weeks ago. No cool air at all. Few days I noticed light burning smell in the car.

1. How to identify the aux fan problem? Switch, bad fan, etc?
should I replace the aux fan since it is related to air condition.
2. Where is the burning smell possibly come from? This really concerns me.

thanks,
John95051

Which variant do you have, 3.0, 4.4 or 4.6?

For the aux fa, you would need to perform test to determine if it is the fan itself or its controlling circuit.

Yes, the aux fan is important for the AC to operate efficiently. Without efficient cooling of the condensewr, the AC system would not be cool enough and can cause the system to fail.

As to the burning smell, there are too many possibilities and only a visual inspection might yield some results.

It is a 3.0 model.
Any DIY can be performed on aux fan to determine if the fan itself or the control circuit? Can aux fan be replaced DIY? Local dealer charge $300 for inspect this kind of thing.

The dealer service technician reported aux having issue about 5 months ago that the aux fan had intermitent on/off problem while this car was there having services. I dd not let them fix the issue at that time. Air condition was working fine in last 5 months. It was suddently stopped working while I was driving few days back. No cool air at all. Do you think the condenser turned bad? Shall I focus on aux fan per these syptom? Thanks.

John95051
Our database does not have any information on testing the cooling fan which is controlled by the Engine Computer.

Symptoms indicates a possible fault with the fan motor.

As to the AC failing, you need to check if it is loss of refrigeants or a fault in the compressor or controlling system.

If the fan is the cause of the problem, the AC compressor might work for a brief perod of time before it cuts off.

For such jobs, it is best to be done by professionals as any mistakes can be costly.

I agree with my associate that the issue should be dealt with by a BMW knowledgeable technician. If there is an issue with the A/C that was caused by the aux fan being inoperative, then you will need to seek out a local BMW pro, we can guide you, but in the end, the choice is up to you.

Dr. Hagerty