AUTOMATIC TTRANSMISSION PROBLEMSC

2003 Audi TT • 80,000 miles

My Audi TT 2003 like others' I've read performs beautifully until the engines comes up to temperature (about 10 min) then kicksl like a mule, misses gear, etc. Especailly in the lower gears and downshifting. Shutting thte car on and off does not help unless it is allowed to sit a bit (to cool?). This has been going on 3 years but has recently gotten MUCH worse. Could this be a computer board (they hate heat) problem or am I in for a mojor overhaul? I just don't want to get duped when I bring the car in for diagnostics. Thanks! Oh, and the bump shift never works and the tranny goes into safe mode after about an hour on the highway (shuts off adfter restarting the car).

Kindly,
Steve
Scfieldsy

Is the Malfunction Indicator Light showing? If there are trouble codes, it would help in diagnosing the problem.

It can be anything from a coolant temperature sensor to the PCM and only diagnostics would tell you what it is.

Yes: P2181 fuel temperature sensor (I think). It is the only code. Someone else had suggested to them for the identical description a "valve housing body" needed replacing and/or a major tranny overhaul which makes no sense to me? How can it work beautifully some times if there is a major physical issue with it?

Scfieldsy
Which engine do you have?

This is a coolant temperature issue and most likely replacing the sensor should solve the problem Not likely to be a major issue.