MY ONLY UPSHIFTS AND DOWNSHIFT AT HIGH SPEEDS/RPMS WHEN IN AUTO MODE

2002 Volkswagen Passat • 110,852 miles

BUT IT ACT WEIRD ONLY IN AUTO MODE. Down shifts in Tiptronic mode are normal and it upshifts on command. It does this everytime we drive it. Here are the facts:
2002 V6, FWD, Auto w/tiptronic mode
110k miles
approximate shift numbers
up shift
1st-2nd ~20Mph
2nd-3rd ~40Mph
3rd-4th ~65Mph
4th-5th ~92Mph

down shift(the ones I can remember)
5th-4th ~62
4th-3rd ~40-45ish (all number are approx anyway)
I cant remember the rest of the way down.
Thanks in advance guys for any wisdom on the subject!
Tristanboyd

Have you checked the fluid level?

Fixitmr
I have not as checking the trans fluid is not a quick task in these cars and my jack stands are in use by my 65 comet. To check the trans fluid, the car has to be raised for access, level, and running with trans at operating temp to check the level at the fill bolt on the side of thing.

The car hasn't shown any signs of slipping though.

Tristanboyd
Have it scanned for transmission codes and check the fluid pressure.

Rivermikerat
Also trans box under pass seat may have wiring/plug corrosion.

Fixitmr
I just found something about that when scouring the forums on passat world, I'll check it out tomorrow and post an update!

Tristanboyd
I pulled the carpet up today and found the box housing the tcm. There is no signs of moisture ever getting down there and the wiring/box looks like new. I have ordered a obd/usb k-can cable to further help with diagnostics. I will take a picture of the box and wirings and submit them this afternoon

Tristanboyd
We'll be waiting.

Rivermikerat
So I know this has been a while since this was last visited but things have been a little crazy. I'm still trying to chase this problem. Since then I've had it scanned with a VAG-COM, no transmission codes. I've also done a filter change. The problem seemed to have lessened for a few hundred miles after the filter change but it could be coincidence. Based on that though, I'm considering having a transmission flush done. What do you think?

Also I was unable to relocate the info about the harness going to the TCM, what should I look for?

Thanks!

Tristanboyd
How many miles on the fluid? What does it look and smell like? Is it red, or is it brown?

Rivermikerat
I'm assuming that, with the exception of the fluid I added during the filter change, the fluid is the original. It was not red at all. It was more brown than anything. The car is sitting at 117k miles now.

Tristanboyd