VOLKSWAGEN JETTA SENSOR PROBLEM

2002 Volkswagen Jetta • 17,000 miles

About a year ago car wouldn't start. Changed fuel pump and car worked ok. Changed the MAF with an aftermarket part. Worked better.

About six months ago I put fuel injector cleaner in gas. Seemed to improve.

3 months ago car wouldn't start. Changed fuel filter. Worked but still hesitated on acceleration.

1 1/2 months ago I put more fuel injector cleaner in car. Drove about 60 miles and seemed to lack power. Then that car would stall. Would take a few attempts to start and would drive fine for about 2 miles. It would go through this cycle. Changed fuel filter and car wouldn't run. Changed vacuum sensor. No luck. Changed crankshaft position sensor and put in a Bosch MAF sensor and at first car wouldn't run. Then car ran fine. Filled gas tank to full and car stalled.

Yesterday, using starter fluid got car running. Now car idles fine and doesn't stall but hesitates when accelerating. Today I changed the spark plugs with no improvement.

Solution?
Bself1352

Have you checked fuel pump pressure? Also, have you checked the idle air control valve?

I haven't checked those. The next thing I was going to change is my coil pack and my 02 sensor. My car has had a P0420 code for a while now but because of other minor things, I haven't taken care of it. That is why I was going to change my 02 sensor.
Any thoughts on these or should I start with checking the pump pressure and the air idle control valve?

Bself1352
I would check the pressure because it is free and may be a problem for you.

I will check the pressure first. Thanks!

Bself1352