WHAT CAN I EXPECT IN COST TO FIX OR IS IT SIMPLE LIKE GIVING IT BETTER GAS DURING THIS HIGH HEAT?

2002 Volkswagen Beetle • 53,000 miles

I have a 2002 turbo sport vw beetle with approx 53,000 mi. Today, 102 degrees on the way home I had trouble getting up a hill in second gear with the a/c running (usually no problem) and I commented that I didn't like the way the car was running. After parking for an hour, the car was more sputtery and sluggish than it had been on the earlier trip, and the check engine began flashing. Turning off the a/c and letting the car idle caused the light to turn off. I smelled rotten eggs and a burning smell on my 1 mile journey home, but cannot be sure they were necessarily coming from my car. I am wondering what I might expect in terms of the problem/possible cost. I intend to tow the car to the mechanic. I may have put the mid-grade gas in it this last time, and I usually do the hightest.
Zephyrel

Have the computer scanned for code/s and comeback with it if any present -we start here

Error code PO301 Cylinder 1 misfire detected. What this actually means has just been explained to me by a neighbor who scanned the car, and he explained the steps he would take to resolve the problem. He seemed to think that I could continue to drive the car and should put 93 octane gas in and perhaps either octane booster or stp fuel cleaner and have the car serviced soon. The car is overdue for service/oil change. He also thought it might be as simple as running to auto zone for a spark plug and beginning the trouble-shooting process. As this guy is a mechanic, but does not specialize in VW, I would love a second opinion regarding this solution. Thanks again.

Zephyrel
Working on these cars when they first came out they had this issue. They had us do all sorts of diagnostics and hardly paid. I felt it was an ecm software glitch, they denied that. 3 months later they had a disc to flash the ecm with. It's only done at a vw dealership. It should be warranty, if not it's an hour labor. They had coil issues also. If replacing plugs be sure to get NGK, i'd go to the dealer for them, id do them all because I think the dealer has better quality plugs. They aren't handle by some careless kid that'd rather be home playing xbox. I'd suggest any electrical parts be from a wrecking yard or the dealer because eitther way they are genuine v dub parts.

Vwscott
P0301 cylinder no.1 misfire-check the sparkplug, compression and injector for this cyl.