GOOD MORNING I WENT OUT TO START MY XLS AND CAR WOULD NOT START, IT TURNED OVER FINE BUT SEEMS TO BE STARVING FOR FUEL I SMELLED FUEL AND COULD HEAR THE FUEL PUMP TRYING TO ENGAGE, WHAT COULD IT BE?

2002 Toyota Avalon • 210,000 miles

Good morning I went out to start my 2002 Toyota avalon xls and car would not start, it turned over fine but seems to be starving for fuel I smelled fuel and heard the fuel pump trying to engage, what could it be?
Anthony.williams

You need to start by checking fuel pressure and spark to the engine. One will be missing. For directions, go to our homepage under the DIY section.

The car wants to start but no fuel delivery

Anthony.williams
Okay, chances are the fuel pump is bad, the fuel filter is plugged, or the regulator isn't working right.

At this point, you need to get an adapter and check fuel pump pressure before the fuel filter. IF there is good pressure (within spec), then the pump is good. If it is still low, then the pump needs replaced.

When I got home from work last night I went out and tried to start my car and the battery was down on it, I even tried to jump it and no luck n getting it started, I also called the Toyota dealer yesterday and they said that chances are slim that it is a defective fuel pump. Any other suggestions?

Anthony.williams
If you are not getting fuel, "no fuel delivery" there has to be a problem with the pump, plugged filter, no power to the pump. It needs to be checked.