P0135 ERROR CODE AND INCOMPLETE O2 AND CATALYST MONITORS

2002 Pontiac Montana • 151,000 miles

I just moved to Indiana and found out this morning that my car doesn't pass the emissions standards because of the P0135 error and incomplete o2 and catalyst monitors. The check engine light was also on, and had been on for as long as I can remember. After leaving the emissions test site, I went and got the o2 sensor and replaced it. The check engine light went off and stayed off for about 35 minutes but came back on. I'm now trying to figure out what else I need to do. I've gotta get this vehicle up to par so I can get it plated. What is a catalyst? Would that incomplete monitor make the light go back on? If so, how do I fix that? I'm feeling pretty lost right now, any info would be greatly appreciated.
Dudenamedric

Where is the o2 sensor located you replaced?Also the catalyst is the cataltic convertor. It not ready because of the code your setting most likely.

It was bank 1 sensor 1, screwed into the top side of the exhaust pipe on top of the exhaust manifold. How do I set the right code?

Dudenamedric
So its a 4cyl engine?Also what do you mean set the right code?The reason the monitors arent setting is because of the code your setting. Also when ever you disconnect the battery or clear codes that clears/resets the monitors so they have to be relearned again.

No, it's a 6 cyl. I wasn't sure if you meant a code I myself was setting or the vehicle. We also didnt disconnect the battery, and I don't think we cleared codes. So are you saying that the light coming back on isn't anything to worry about? Will it pass an Indiana emissions test?

Dudenamedric
The light cannot be on and must be repaired correctly to pass emissions.

Take it to a shop for a real diag and they will tell you the failures and the needed repairs.

If the ligh is on what coees do you have now since the repair?Also with the light on its a auto fail for emissions. Plus the monitors wont set.

I'm going to take it to AutoZone today to get another diagnostic. I'll fill you in on the code once I get back.

Dudenamedric
Autozone are parts salesman, not techs. They will sell you the world.

You need a real shop to check it for you, not a parts house.

Well it's Sunday and it's free, so I'm gonna see what it says and then make some calls tomorrow to see if any shops in the area do free checks as well

Dudenamedric
Let me know what you find.